Looking for Winchester Model 1892's

twobitrifles

Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Houston, TX
Hello,

I am conducting a research survey of the Winchester 1892/92 rifles and would like to add any rifle I can get in contact with. I have just under 4000 rifles in the effort so far and want to capture several thousand more. I need information on full serial numbers, photos of all the stamped writing on the rifle, and one showing the overall configuration. Eventually a book of the statistical analysis will be made public. I truly appreciate any and all help you are willing to give. You can read a bit about the effort at these links:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27559&p=343093&hilit=1892+survey#p343093
http://www.winchestercollector.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3460

I will be happy to answer any questions you might have concerning your rifle(s) and give you an idea of how it fits in with the changes made during production and a possible value number. You can reply either via a PM or to my email at 2bitrifles@gmail.com
3445-22CULSILO1.jpg


Thanks again
Michael
 
Last edited:
Hi Michael!
Welcome to the forum. Great to have you on here. Boys, if you have any questions on the Winchester Model 1892, this is the fellow to ask. You will be a great asset to the forum
Cheers,
Matt
 
Good to see you on this forum, Michael. I can add my endorsement to Matt74's ... Michael is putting together the most comprehensive database and survey of the Winchester Model 1892/92 that has ever been done. Eventually, his research will be published, which will be a benefit to us all. I hope we can all help out in this endeavour.
 
Well I am or was initially reluctant to share information on anything I have. Too long living in this country and being over-sensitive to people's motivations. But between Matt and Kirk piping up in your favour, I think I may do it. I don't have anything special like some of the advanced members on the board, just mainline run of the mill 1892's. I haven't been serious enough about pursuing some of the 'high-end' ones.
 
Well I am or was initially reluctant to share information on anything I have. Too long living in this country and being over-sensitive to people's motivations. But between Matt and Kirk piping up in your favour, I think I may do it. I don't have anything special like some of the advanced members on the board, just mainline run of the mill 1892's. I haven't been serious enough about pursuing some of the 'high-end' ones.

Pretty sure I can speak for Michael when I say he is not only looking for high end examples, he is looking for information on all / any 1892s out there, in any style, configuration and condition to create a large enough sample size for his survey. Anyway, don't want to steal his thunder, but will vouch for the fellow. Any info you guys could provide Michael only helps all us Winchester guys out in the end. There is some really good work going on out there right now on a few different models by some guys that are devoting A LOT of time to a passion we all share. Thanks Michael.

Matt
 
This might be a place to mention that I am working on a similar database for the Winchester Model 53 as a major part of my research which will be published as well. I have almost 2% of total production now in my database. If anyone has any Model 53's I would be most grateful if you would PM me on the info. If it is Models 1892/92, then Michael is your man. I've been aware of Michael's research for over a year now.
 
This might be a place to mention that I am working on a similar database for the Winchester Model 53 as a major part of my research which will be published as well. I have almost 2% of total production now in my database. If anyone has any Model 53's I would be most grateful if you would PM me on the info. If it is Models 1892/92, then Michael is your man. I've been aware of Michael's research for over a year now.

Aww man, now I have to go out and buy Model 53's? Ok.....fine....
 
Hello again,

Sorry that I have been out of the loop and have not replied to the postings. I have been traveling in Italy for the past four months and my "internet time" has been pretty restricted by touring and Chianti consumption. I will be back home in Texas in 2 days and I will definitely be intouch with Bittermansbro to help you with your rifles.

Looking forward to helping.
Happy New Year.
Michael
 
Michael, thanks for the tip on that Model 53. I looked at the barrel markings. Some of the stampings are obviously not original. I checked the alignment of 'MODEL 53' and it is stamped about 1/4" further back than it should, so not even that stamp is original. The serial number is probably a Model 53 serial number, otherwise it would have to be an early Model 1892 receiver, which isn't out of the question. The top tang would tell the story but I can't see it. The receiver is well worn on the edges. It is either a fake Model 53 cobbled together from a blank barrel and weird stock and an old worn Model 1892 receiver, or it is a Model 53 receiver that went through Frankenstein's shop.
 
Hey Kirk,
The rifle has a type 6 upper tang stamp on it. So the receiver is definitely a Model 53 SN. Not sure why someone drilled the extra hole for a wrong style peep sight. The rifle is just a little south of where my parents live in Lansing, Michigan.
winchester-53-updatejpg_thumbnail0_zps391759f1.jpg
[/IMG]

Hope this helps.
But not certain how.
Michael
 
Hello,

I now have 4020 rifles in this survey. To those who have emailed me I just want to say thanks.
I have also just begun a similar survey that will document the caliber and barrel configuration
makeup of the Winchester Model 61 .22 caliber rifles. That is in the Rimfire Forum for anybody
who might have on or more of these sitting in the safe.
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...el-61-Production-Survey&p=8232842#post8232842
and here also:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485813

Thanks again
Michael
 
Jeeptag,

Thanks so much for the excellent photos. Yours is a 1903 vintage, round barrel sporting rifle. The receiver was serialized on 19 September 1903 and the fully assembled rifle entered the Winchester warehouse on the 24 of the same month. It was shipped out the next day. All of the stamp styles and locations are correct for its SN range. The rear sight is missing the elevator, you can see the wear marks on the barrel. Regretfully, the wood has been sanded and refinished.

I appreciate the participation. If yi uhave any further question lets me know.

Michael
 
If anybody has an 1892 in hand and has not done so, you really should take the time to e-mail some good, detailed pictures to Michael. I sent pics of my '92 to him after seeing his posts on a US collector's forum. He was able to provide some great info and even gave me a rough idea of what my rifle would be worth (in his neck of the wood's). He is a super guy to deal with that is tackling a huge undertaking in documenting these rifles, so contribute if you can.
 
2strklvr wrote:
If anybody has an 1892 in hand and has not done so, you really should take the time to e-mail some good, detailed pictures to Michael. I sent pics of my '92 to him after seeing his posts on a US collector's forum. He was able to provide some great info and even gave me a rough idea of what my rifle would be worth (in his neck of the wood's). He is a super guy to deal with that is tackling a huge undertaking in documenting these rifles, so contribute if you can.
Thanks so much for your kiind words. And also thanks to Darrell for sending photos of his Late 1904 vintage sporting rifle. The condition is a bit on the low side but I greatly appreciate every gun I can get inforamtion on.

Thanks to everyone "up north"
Michael
 
I just want to say thanks to Mike K. and Damncat for contacting me with info on the rifles.
If anyone is familiar with any Museums that might have any rifles in their collection please
let me know the name of the place. I have cataloged a few collections this way. Also, if there
is a dealer who you might know that has some at any time please pass the contact info to me.

Thanks again
Michael
 
I am still going strong on the survey but I thought I would also share a couple of Winchester which I just purchased. One is a Model 1892 and both of these guns are extremely unique and rare. I lifted this out of a post I have on the Winchesters Arm Collectors sight so some of the commentary might not quite fit. I hope to add any 1892 rifles you may have and will be glad to answer any questions about them.

Enjoy:

I finally got to pick up the gun(s) and as promised here are some quick photos of them. As I had mentioned earlier, while I was talking to the previous owner of the 1892 we got to chatting about the rifle and he eluded to another old shotgun that was configured the same way. Of course I asked what kind it was. A few exchanges of emails with photos and a couple more phone calls and we decided that the Model 1887 really should stay with the 1892 since they have been together for the past 118 years.

Both guns have curved upper and lower tangs and levers and the butt stock is also curved to perfectly fit the same radius. And yes the peep sight base is also curved to perfectly overlay the upper tang on the 1892. The 1887 is a 10 gauge with a full choke 30 inch barrel. The shotgun condition is definitely lower than the rifle but as a pair they make for a very interesting look at just how far Winchester would go for a customer. Enjoy the images.
1C2A1760_zps4784717f.jpg


1C2A1763_zps690e1fd4.jpg


1C2A1781_zpsa81aa467.jpg


1C2A1765_zpsfb9f34c7.jpg


1C2A1782_zpsb2886b98.jpg


1C2A1771_zpsded04317.jpg


1C2A1770_zps1e49bfca.jpg


1C2A1776_zps738faf7f.jpg


1C2A1777_zps21434f5b.jpg


1C2A1773_zps09673718.jpg


1C2A1778_zps9b428fa5.jpg


1C2A1779_zps169f4b44.jpg


Michael
 
Back
Top Bottom