Looking to buy my first antique handgun...any advice?

Sure wish I knew something about brain surgery and had 7 grand to spend, maybe then I could get in on this thread :) Just a question for the general public, not anything to do with you Newfie gun nut. but I taught firearms safety for 30 years, my students sure knew more about guns then brain surgery, in this world today how do you get a PAL :confused:


My brother's the doctor :stirthepot2:....I'm a lowly tax accountant !....:wave:
 
Tiriaq-what do you mean by "if you have to ask..".. If by that you meant if I have to ask a value i should not have one then your a complete idiot and did not read my thread,IM NEW TO ANTIQUE GUNS..so I'm exploring my options and finding out information about guns and values,and I must say MOST people are very helpful

There is an expression respecting expensive items "If you have to ask the price, then you cannot afford it". Anything expensive. Perhaps you are not familiar with the saying.
 
Sure wish I knew something about brain surgery and had 7 grand to spend, maybe then I could get in on this thread :) Just a question for the general public, not anything to do with you Newfie gun nut. but I taught firearms safety for 30 years, my students sure knew more about guns then brain surgery, in this world today how do you get a PAL :confused:

It's basically a money scam,they teach you nothing but common sence things,ANYONE can get it,I can't comment on the restricted but I'm doing in jan 4th so I'll let you know how it goes,I'm a red seal welder as well as a red seal HD mechanic so I'm sure I should not have a problem with it,nothing to do with guns but shows I'm not brain dead lol :p
 
There is an expression respecting expensive items "If you have to ask the price, then you cannot afford it". Anything expensive. Perhaps you are not familiar with the saying.

Sorry misunderstood you! But maybe your right :p,wish I had enough money to buy things without even asking the price...must be nice !:)
 
look for webley green military 455/476 revolvers. they are big heavy pistols with lots of commonwealth history.
 
Sure :yingyang: , if it's matching....:nest:


I have an 1898-manufacture Swedish 1896 that I got for.....considerably less.

Perhaps it's me misunderstanding the comment from antiqueguy, but I think you may be misunderstood there Cyclone. I think antiqueguy is talking about an antique C-96, where as you seem to be talking about the Mauser M/96 carbine.

Again perhaps I'm misunderstanding the comment, it's been known to happen :wave:.
 
Perhaps it's me misunderstanding the comment from antiqueguy, but I think you may be misunderstood there Cyclone. I think antiqueguy is talking about an antique C-96, where as you seem to be talking about the Mauser M/96 carbine.

Again perhaps I'm misunderstanding the comment, it's been known to happen :wave:.


There's every possibility that I was the one who misunderstood the 1896-reference :yingyang: - your comprehension makes more sense !
 
completely off topic, but I like how on virtually every other forum on the internet this misunderstanding would have lead to a typed shouting match, racial slurs and general abuse, whereas on here, a forum for gun owners specifically discussing handguns, everyone is polite and respectful and learning things. Faith in humanity restored.

And yah, if I had 7k... I'd be drooling over a C96 broomhandle.... they're beautiful! ... then again, I could get two Merwins for that... and that would be a whole new world of fun :D I guess the solution is just to buy them all!
 
completely off topic, but I like how on virtually every other forum on the internet this misunderstanding would have lead to a typed shouting match, racial slurs and general abuse, whereas on here, a forum for gun owners specifically discussing handguns, everyone is polite and respectful and learning things. Faith in humanity restored.

And yah, if I had 7k... I'd be drooling over a C96 broomhandle.... they're beautiful! ... then again, I could get two Merwins for that... and that would be a whole new world of fun :D I guess the solution is just to buy them all!

I've been looking at the c96 broomhandle on a few websites,it's looks amazing,VERY unique...and also thanks again for the very helpful PM!
 
I can only give you one advice, don't buy an expensive antique as first handgun, you will regret it, and most likely lose money. Almost all Colts SAA offered in Canada are refinished or altered because the traditional Colt caliber 45LC is not antique in Canada. The altered guns will not increase in value. If you want a Colt SAA, buy a new one for $1,700, if you want a S&W SA Russian, buy an Uberti for $1,200, great guns, super nice. You will never take an expensive antique in the Bush anyways.
 
Shooting is like driving a car. You need to learn how to drive before you decide what vehicle you need. Antique handguns are no different - do yourself a favour - learn, read, and gain some knowledge before you decide what to buy. Take your restricted course, learn about handgun safety. Read the last 10 pages of threads in the antique forum and all the stickies. Learn the difference in the pressure restrictions between modern and antique firearms, and the difference between black powder and smokeless cartridges used in those guns. Unless you have some of that knowledge you shouldn't be asking "what gun should I buy". It's like someone who has never seen a highway asking what model of race car they should be buying.

Antique firearms require a higher degree of knowledge simply because they are intrinsically less strong than modern firearms and more susceptible to damage and causing injury. Many of the antique firearms you will consider need to use custom loaded cartridges - so you need to be able to reload to shoot them. It's not as simple as buying a gun and and some ammo and then going out and shooting it with your buddies. Learn to walk before you try to run. Invest the time and effort in gaining the knowledge or do yourself a favour and don't go there at all. Maybe this seems harsh, but it is real. Learn the basics, learn enough at least to respect the firearm so that you won't be a liability to yourself andf the rest of us - if you do something stupid and hurt yourself through lack of understanding then you hurt all of us. Don't be that guy.
 
Great advice,thanks,but if I do buy a expensive antique,I don't have any plans on taking it in the "bush",just basically want to collect,but also like to put a few rounds through it at the range.
 
Shooting is like driving a car. You need to learn how to drive before you decide what vehicle you need. Antique handguns are no different - do yourself a favour - learn, read, and gain some knowledge before you decide what to buy. Take your restricted course, learn about handgun safety. Read the last 10 pages of threads in the antique forum and all the stickies. Learn the difference in the pressure restrictions between modern and antique firearms, and the difference between black powder and smokeless cartridges used in those guns. Unless you have some of that knowledge you shouldn't be asking "what gun should I buy". It's like someone who has never seen a highway asking what model of race car they should be buying.

Antique firearms require a higher degree of knowledge simply because they are intrinsically less strong than modern firearms and more susceptible to damage and causing injury. Many of the antique firearms you will consider need to use custom loaded cartridges - so you need to be able to reload to shoot them. It's not as simple as buying a gun and and some ammo and then going out and shooting it with your buddies. Learn to walk before you try to run. Invest the time and effort in gaining the knowledge or do yourself a favour and don't go there at all. Maybe this seems harsh, but it is real. Learn the basics, learn enough at least to respect the firearm so that you won't be a liability to yourself andf the rest of us - if you do something stupid and hurt yourself through lack of understanding then you hurt all of us. Don't be that guy.

Great advice! But I have to disagree with comparing it to a car,I bought my first car when I was 14 (69 charger,440,4 speed),and restored it over 3 years till I got my licence,then when I got my licence I knew my car inside out!,I love it and still have it,..and I am learning a lot thanks to everyone hear,I do have 1 advantage,where I'm a welder I have access to equipment like a ultrasonic tester,and a x-ray machine used for testing metals looking for cracks and pores the naked eye can't sees,so having a antique tested Is no problem at all..I still have a good bit of learning to do on pressure,making ammo,ect,ect but I'll get there thanks to everyone here!
 
Back
Top Bottom