Lubing Paper-Patched boolits

oldrodder

CGN Regular
Rating - 99.6%
244   1   0
Location
Sudbury, ON
I'm new to BPCR reloading,so, I have a question on lubing...............well, many questions, but one at a time!
When do you lube a PP boolit, when you roll it or when it's loaded? What do you lube it with??
I'm shooting a Buffalo Classic and a Sharps (Pedersoli) in .45-120
Thanks for the advice,
Mike
PS. With the few (6) rounds that I've loaded, before seating the boolit, I lightly coated it with sizing lube. Seemed to work OK.
 
Long time since I've shot paper patch but convetional opinion at the time was lube wasn't needed, The paper was the riding surface that prevented leading.

If any lube was used it is at the base of the bullet, comonly called a "lube cookie" to soften the B/P fouling .
 
oldrodder.
I have run my paper patched bullets through the lube sizer to put a slight waxy feeling on the paper plus it seems to slide into the brass easier (my thoughts on it).
If you are paper patching you pretty much have to run a lube cookie under the bullet to keep your powder fouling as soft as possible. I have found that Hornady dies for setting paper patched bullets (if you are using dies) are not paper patch friendly.

Good Luck Ken.
 
Like Kodiak1, I was just looking for a slight waxy feel to the paper, so I used Lee Liquid Alox smeared-on by hand. But, I was using smokeless powder.
 
Like Kodiak1, I was just looking for a slight waxy feel to the paper, so I used Lee Liquid Alox smeared-on by hand. But, I was using smokeless powder.

As long as you use the loaded shell fairly soon after loading.
Conventional opinion amongst old paper shooters is that if they are stored for any lenght of time, the lube will deteriorate the paper to a point that it won't do the job intended.
I think it was in Paul Mathews "Shooting Paper Patch" (a very good book if you don't already have it) that I read that some instances have been documented of lubed paper patched bullets squirting out of the patch when fired and leaving the patch in the barrel. You might only be lubing the outside surface of the paper but a certain amount of lube will migrate and soak into the paper.

Not trying to discourage your efforts, just passing on some observations.
 
One reason for lubing, in my mind, was to ease the passage of the PP boolit into the case. A slight application of sizing lubricant works well for that.
It looks like a lube cookie it is! SPG & DGL are both great BP lubes and I have 3 lbs of DGL coming! To keep the lube from migrating,
I would store the cartridges, boolit (bullet) facing down. For paper, I'm using onionskin with 25% cotton content.
The 45-70 will see both smokeless and BP. The 45-120, Holy Black only!!
Thanks to all for the advice! I don't discourage easily, and I realize tha BPCR shooting can be frustrating and heartbreaking at times.
Keep the advice coming!!! It's much appreciated!
Mike
PS: All my projectiles are cast, so...........boolits it is!!
 
One reason for lubing, in my mind, was to ease the passage of the PP boolit into the case. A slight application of sizing lubricant works well for that.
It looks like a lube cookie it is! SPG & DGL are both great BP lubes and I have 3 lbs of DGL coming! To keep the lube from migrating,
I would store the cartridges, boolit (bullet) facing down. For paper, I'm using onionskin with 25% cotton content.
The 45-70 will see both smokeless and BP. The 45-120, Holy Black only!!
Thanks to all for the advice! I don't discourage easily, and I realize tha BPCR shooting can be frustrating and heartbreaking at times.
Keep the advice coming!!! It's much appreciated!
Mike
PS: All my projectiles are cast, so...........boolits it is!!

the card wads help with lube not getting into the powder and also keep it from sticking to the bullet base these can be punched out of a cereal box or bought
 
A lot of folks are using milk cartons to punch out wads. I've done that as well, using a 7/16" punch. I might order a punch from Buffalo Arms that mounts in a drill press. I also have wads that I bought from Track of the Wolf, fibre & felt.
Mike
 
Back
Top Bottom