Unfortunately Vulcan closed this spring.Vulcan Gun Refinishing in Maidstone is a Garand gunsmith in Ontario.
Do not simply swap in a different garand bolt and try it! That could be dangerous!Unfortunately Vulcan closed this spring.
The firing pin hold the extractor in place (IIRC). That could be the combined problem.
Chase down a second assembled Garand bolt and give it a try.
I checked if there was an announcement of retirement on his website and the business hours on Google before posting because I thought he was close to retirement and I didn't see that so I took the chance to suggest that business. I'm not surprised that the info on internet isn't up to date. Thanks for the info.Unfortunately Vulcan closed this spring.
The firing pin hold the extractor in place (IIRC). That could be the combined problem.
Chase down a second assembled Garand bolt and give it a try.
Not trying to climb down your throat but until you are more familiar with firearms in general, maybe take a knowledgeable buddy with you before you buy anything else.Hello,
I'm a total newbie here, and a newbie to collecting firearms, so let me know if I posted in the wrong place.
I purchased an M1 Garand a few months ago, took it to the range on Monday, and found out it wouldn't fire. Pulling the trigger led to a clicking as if it was being dry fired, but there was no evidence of the firing pin making contact with the bullet. This rifle was sold to me as a 30-06 chambered M1 and the clip fits in loaded with 30-06, but it doesn't fire, and when I try to take the unfired bullet out I pull back the bolt and the bullet stays with the bolt, but it takes a bit of work to remove the bullet from the bolt.
Has anyone seen this kind of thing? I wonder if it really is a .308 conversion or something.
Also, does anyone know of a good gunsmith in the Greater Toronto area for this type of rifle, I really would like to get this M! working.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
FWIW, Mark Novak has a great episode (or two?) about Garand actions and headspace on these:Do not simply swap in a different garand bolt and try it! That could be dangerous!
Locking lug contact could be minimal and headspace could be off!
You could disassemble a different Garand bolt and grab the firing pin and ejector from it, but there's no point. You need your own. Buy the parts and look up videos to disassemble, buy the garand bolt tool, or take it to a smith.
Not trying to climb down your throat but until you are more familiar with firearms in general, maybe take a knowledgeable buddy with you before you buy anything else.
If the seller here is making good on this, that’s great, but there are sellers who will turn their backs on you once the money has transferred.
Kind of a shame but not everyone is a gentleman.
Thanks Machman, I did know that early(?) M1s had problems firing if the top cartridge was on the wrong side, but I never thought about making it easier to load, mine was a bit finicky, but my friend found that loading 7 cartridges instead of 8 solved the issue. I will try the way this video suggests next time I go to the range
This happens to me sometimes when I go to shoot my M1 Garand and the clip doesnt latch properly.. I recently just came to the conclusion that my gun smith didn't put the .308 spacer block in my rifle so a lot of the time when I load my 308 rounds I have clip issues and this is when I get the click with no fire.. but it may be different than your issue but good to check nonethelessHello,
I'm a total newbie here, and a newbie to collecting firearms, so let me know if I posted in the wrong place.
I purchased an M1 Garand a few months ago, took it to the range on Monday, and found out it wouldn't fire. Pulling the trigger led to a clicking as if it was being dry fired, but there was no evidence of the firing pin making contact with the bullet. This rifle was sold to me as a 30-06 chambered M1 and the clip fits in loaded with 30-06, but it doesn't fire, and when I try to take the unfired bullet out I pull back the bolt and the bullet stays with the bolt, but it takes a bit of work to remove the bullet from the bolt.
Has anyone seen this kind of thing? I wonder if it really is a .308 conversion or something.
Also, does anyone know of a good gunsmith in the Greater Toronto area for this type of rifle, I really would like to get this M! working.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Always remember to watch your thumb!!Hello,
I'm a total newbie here, and a newbie to collecting firearms, so let me know if I posted in the wrong place.
I purchased an M1 Garand a few months ago, took it to the range on Monday, and found out it wouldn't fire. Pulling the trigger led to a clicking as if it was being dry fired, but there was no evidence of the firing pin making contact with the bullet. This rifle was sold to me as a 30-06 chambered M1 and the clip fits in loaded with 30-06, but it doesn't fire, and when I try to take the unfired bullet out I pull back the bolt and the bullet stays with the bolt, but it takes a bit of work to remove the bullet from the bolt.
Has anyone seen this kind of thing? I wonder if it really is a .308 conversion or something.
Also, does anyone know of a good gunsmith in the Greater Toronto area for this type of rifle, I really would like to get this M! working.
Thanks in advance for any advice.



























