Military 8mm ammo ID

MD

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A friend just showed me one of 1000 rounds of 8x57 hard point ammo he just got.

Very fresh looking stuff with the letters FN and one more letter after it and the numbers 71-20 stamped as well.

Any ideas what it might be?
 
If it's FNM it's Portuguese, it's HOT, it's darned accurate in the right rifle, it's a very heavy loading equal to the German JsS and it is much too good to just blast off at nothing.

Very much a 'find'.
.
 
If it's FNM it's Portuguese, it's HOT, it's darned accurate in the right rifle, it's a very heavy loading equal to the German JsS and it is much too good to just blast off at nothing.

Very much a 'find'.
.

I have some of the FNM stuff and will agree, it is a stout load. I haven't shot a lot through my M48 yet, but what I did use shot well and I will get more use as I go.

If it is too good to shoot at nothing, what should I shoot it at?;)


Mark
 
Apparently it shot very well in his 1941 Oberndorf Portuguese contract Mauser and a sporter made out of another 1941 Oberndorf Portuguese Mauser.
 
Everyone seems to agree it's a stout loading. I know mausers have very strong actions, but would this ammo perhaps be meant for long range machine gun use? Would sustained use in a k 98 be bad for the rifle?
 
Back
Top Bottom