Military Surplus Ammo

OnE-CrazY-CoW

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,

Since military surplus ammo is so cheap, I was wondering if there are any other calibers out there besides the 7.62x39. It such an inexpensive way to learn to shoot.

Thanks.
 
Nothing is cheaper than 7.62x39. You can currently get 7.62x54r but it costs about twice as much at about 45 cents a round including shipping and taxes. That is still less than half of what .303 costs.
 
The surplus market can also be very random. Just cause you can get it now does not mean you can get it in the future. Have a back up plan if you decide to spend big money on a rifle. ie: commercial rounds or hand loading. I've watched this market for over 30 years. What supplies may seem always available can dry up over night. Buy your surplus ammo generously enough to have some for tomorrow.
 
Seems like 7.62 x 25 is cheap enough for those very reasonably priced Tokarevs that are for sale almost everywhere, BUT it sells out awful quick and reloading dies, etc. for it does too. But in cases of 2500 rds., it certainly brings the cost/per down. Too bad it's hard to get and who knows about being able to get more down the road? I'd jump at a T33 from Trade Ex or someone for ~$200 but only if the ammo was in good and regular supply.

J
 
JET A1;
"but only if the ammo was in good and regular supply."

Surplus ammunition is not in good and regular supply....No surplus ammo is for that matter.... You buy when it is available

BTW, 7.62x25 should be in in January sometime....

John
 
Ammo stores for a very long time. Start stocking for shortages (slowly). Buy a case, and when you get to half case left, buy another, but put it away. Every time you blow through half a case, buy a new full one, artificially cheating yourself out of 50% of your ammo, and it'll appear to cost twice as much, but it'll build up your stock over time. Imagine if all these SKS variants ran dry someday...
 
Thanks for all the advice. Didn't realize that military surplus ammo could be an issue to obtain later. It seems to always be in stock whenever I go to get some, so I should just start stockpiling them now.
 
Thanks for all the advice. Didn't realize that military surplus ammo could be an issue to obtain later. It seems to always be in stock whenever I go to get some, so I should just start stockpiling them now.

The reason it is called surplus ammo is because it is unwanted surplus (i.e. - extra) to what some government/military needs or wants to use. It often becomes surplus when a calibre change or equipment change makes it obsolete for that military.

That is also why it is cheap, they are selling it at a low price just to move it out of a warehouse somewhere to make room for newer/different equipment and supplies. Once that warehouse is empty, the ammo is gone forever.

As mentioned, stock up while you can if you plan on owning that rifle for a while. I am trying to buy a crate of 7.62x39 every month as spare cash allows and I don't even own a rifle in that calibre yet. Once the surplus supply dries up, all the rifles that are chambered in x39 will be harder to sell and their value will drop noticeably.

Mark
 
Think of the .303 brit. ammo as a perfect example. How many countries made it, and how many millions if not billions of rounds were around after the war and well into the 60's and 70's? Go to a gun show now, and if you find any, check out the cost. 'Nuff said?
 
Ammo stores for a very long time. Start stocking for shortages (slowly). Buy a case, and when you get to half case left, buy another, but put it away. Every time you blow through half a case, buy a new full one, artificially cheating yourself out of 50% of your ammo, and it'll appear to cost twice as much, but it'll build up your stock over time. Imagine if all these SKS variants ran dry someday...

How long will ammo store for?
 
I just shot off the last of my 303 surplus a couple weeks ago. :(

All I have left is my grandpa's commercial huntin' ammo from the 40's

Is a garage in the rainy west coast an ok place to store it? Cuz that is where I built my ammo storage cabinet.
 
Right now the only one bringing it into the country is Marstar. Canada has been void of surplus x54R for a while and I'm sure they are flogged with months worth of orders. I ordered some weeks ago as well as other firearms n stuff, but I don't expect to see any of it until after Christmas. I still have pretty much a full crate of it left anyways so I'm in no panic. If you place an order, don't expect it overnight, and they are closed for Christmas for a week or so.
 
Think of the .303 brit. ammo as a perfect example. How many countries made it, and how many millions if not billions of rounds were around after the war and well into the 60's and 70's? Go to a gun show now, and if you find any, check out the cost. 'Nuff said?

Id guess several billion rounds of .303 were dumped into the oceans in the 60's. Along with every type of munition and gas Canada had during the second world war.

If someone had a time machine, the coordinates of the drops, and some scuba gear I bet we could make a fine profit!
 
Back
Top Bottom