Mould Question

Cooty: Careful what you wish for, you just might get it, molds are better if slightly oversize and a .457" mold you'll prolly return. For Lyman, check out Midsouth Shooters supply or Buffalo Arms, both in the USA. The mold maker making the best designs and molds for the .45/70 esp. for hunting are the WFN and LFN designs of LBT, and are esp. meant for smokeless loads. If for BPCR/long range check out Saeco, Paul Jones, Steve Brooks, etc. RCBS also make fine molds for the 45/70 but tend to drop on the small side, either way make sure that they will drop at least .459" or more, or you could be throwing your money away.
 
For custom moulds in Canada try Leo Bumphrey from the Regina Area this gentleman takes PRIDE in his craft.
For paper patch moulds Leo or Kal Tool and Die make an absolutely perfect paper patch and they drop perfect bullets.

Ken.
 
Ken: I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but just finished trying a customer's mold from the same maker, and it was very much undersized. If it were mine it would go back, makes me wonder if the maker had any experience with the caliber. Sorry, but i have to call 'em as I see 'em......your experience was obviously better.
 
All that you will find at canadian dealers is Lee, that's why i mentioned Buffalo Arms, also maybe Graf and sons, may be a distributor. If you go on the Redding site, and then bullet molds, they will have a list of distributors. This is pretty fine equipment and worth the money and then some......I've never used or seen a Saeco mold that I didn't think the world of.....Ben
 
All that you will find at canadian dealers is Lee, that's why i mentioned Buffalo Arms, also maybe Graf and sons, may be a distributor. If you go on the Redding site, and then bullet molds, they will have a list of distributors. This is pretty fine equipment and worth the money and then some......I've never used or seen a Saeco mold that I didn't think the world of.....Ben

I'm sold on Saeco so now I just have to find the right numbers for Black Powder ones in 400+gr and 500+gr. google has been busy and Buffalo Arms has some just not sure what ones yet!
 
I gotta say a 535g Seaco sized at .459 gives me 5 shots at 200y under an inch with black powder in my 45-70 all thanks to Ben :)

Going to get a 405 Saeco just wanted to know if the Lyman handles would work. I plan on getting other moulds to experiment but one before xmass is enough for now!
 
Ken: I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but just finished trying a customer's mold from the same maker, and it was very much undersized. If it were mine it would go back, makes me wonder if the maker had any experience with the caliber. Sorry, but i have to call 'em as I see 'em......your experience was obviously better.

Ben, if this is the case, why didn't this customer contact me?

"Very Much Undersize". How much is very much? All my moulds are machined for a certain alloy, as per customers request. If you cast with pure PB or a mix with less than stated, your going to have a smaller bullet.

And yes, I do have experience with mould making, and I have a list of satisfied customers a mile long, check out the Shiloh Sharps forum.

If this customer is not satisfied with the mould, have him contact me. I'll take care of them. I stand behind all of my products, so if anyone has any problems, they know how to contact me.

:cheers:

Rick Kalynuik
KAL Tool & Die
 
Back
Top Bottom