My Buntline 10 inch SAA Colt (Pics)

dingus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 98.9%
363   4   0
Location
B.C
Well if i cant reach out and touch stuff with this i should giver up. :)
This is a Antique SAA Colt 455/476 caliber.
Can chamber a 45 schofield case but only if the rims thinned to 455 Thickness.
I have a proper removeable steel stock for this to but need to make a custom hammer screw to attach it.
Might end up listing this tho id sure like to keep it, i will be shooting it soon.
Them are real elk grips.
mint bored 45 cal barrel so it should drive tacks im gona try some 45 schofield or 45 colt with the case rims thinned and load full BP loads and some 6 gr Trail boss loads to.
Should be alot of fun to shoot.
The case with the green base is a 45 Schofield with the rim thined to 455 thickness.
I never seen one with a 10 inch barrel on Cgn not a perscribed antique one :cool:

P1010023_31.jpg


P1010030_28.jpg


P1010020_34.jpg
 
I posted this to get a revolver barrel lenght discussion going.
Pros and Cons and if people think you will get more bullet speed from a longer barrel.
I could make it any length i want but i like the 10 inch and its not slow to draw either and great to point.
Whatt Earp had one i think his was a 10 inch maby a 12 even.
in any case i want to see how theses long SAAs shoot.
Once i get that stock attached she will be a revolver carbine with antique status.
should be intresting to shoot thats for sure.
Thats a 8 inch blade bowie in the pictures with the gun.
 
What year was that gun made,awesome piece. Who needs a rifle when you have one of those.
Is that in original condition or has it been restored???
 
Very nice but I got to be childish I can't help myself but are you compensating for something?LOL. I must have a review as I had a 10 Ruger and couldn't hit s--t but shot much better with a 5.5 .Let us know how she goes.will look great with a stock .
 
Well its easy to shorten up but im not gona i dont think.
The gun is ser # in the 70600s so its a early made gun.
I will get that steel stock fitting for sure and take some pics of it set up.
im sure useing 45 schofield cases with the rims thined putting the bullet up by the forceing cone it will shoot good its a very good barrel proper crowned mint bore so no reason it wont shoot good.
 
Damn you come up with some nice guns. Envy and hate come to mind right now.... ;) I think that's one of the commandments isn't it? Thou Shalt Not Covet They Neighbours Colt.....
 
Can't speak for what a 10" bbl Colt will behave like. But I have a pair of Ruger's in 45 Colt one is a 7.5 and the other is a 5.5. Off the bench the 5.5 is more accurate than the 7.5. But shooting longer ranges free hand 100 to 200 yards out I do much better with the 7.5. I attribute this solely to the longer sight radius, as I still like the balance of the 5.5 better.

As to velocities I don't think you will notice much difference. I have not compared the 5.5 and 7.5 with standard and cowboy velocity loads. When stoked to the max with enough H110 to vapourize a SAA under a 300 grain bullet the 7.5 inch gun gets about 125 to 150 fps better... (1375fps and 1500 fps).

Very nice revolver by the way!
 
Last edited:
I like a long barrel. I had an original 2nd Model American in 44 Russian with an 8" barrel. I found that I could whip that thing out of the holster and drill a target tacked to a stump in record time, no need to aim. I think the long barrel becomes the aiming device. Anyways, it was a lot faster and more accurate to shoot from halfway from the hip to the shoulder than my 5 & 1/2" simply because of its long-barreled aim-ability.
 
I like a long barrel. I had an original 2nd Model American in 44 Russian with an 8" barrel. I found that I could whip that thing out of the holster and drill a target tacked to a stump in record time, no need to aim. I think the long barrel becomes the aiming device. Anyways, it was a lot faster and more accurate to shoot from halfway from the hip to the shoulder than my 5 & 1/2" simply because of its long-barreled aim-ability.

Good Point ! ya that S&W you had was a beauty to!
 
A lady that I used to shoot cowboy with carried a Colt buntline. When she whipped that thing out and extended her arms the muzzle was half-way to the target. One time I remember her shooting a sass target 5 times in the head in a row with it. Someone in the crowd mentioned to her husband that she "was probably thinking of him".
 
dingus that's a nice colt with an unusual barrel lenght,the original "buntline" is a flat top single action in the serial range of 28800 through 28830 folding leaf rear sight,barrel length varying from 10 to 16 inch,one of the nicest around was sold a month ago for 375.000$,,the colt with attachable skeleton type shoulderstocks are called the buntline specials
 
dingus that's a nice colt with an unusual barrel lenght,the original "buntline" is a flat top single action in the serial range of 28800 through 28830 folding leaf rear sight,barrel length varying from 10 to 16 inch,one of the nicest around was sold a month ago for 375.000$,,the colt with attachable skeleton type shoulderstocks are called the buntline specials

Yes this guns orignal barrel length was shorter but i like the feel of the 10 inch and wanted one with antique status.
I dont have $375000 kicking around LOL
Some of them old SAAs are worth a pile of money.

Thanks for the buntline info.
 
Heres some pics with the stock!
Its now set up to clamp on and off it takes only a few minutes to put in the orignal hammer screw but this one dont get in the way leaveing it on.
Its a 3 piece screw and locks the stock on great!
the leather has been added so the nickle back strap dont mark up.

P1010020_35.jpg


P1010024_32.jpg
 
Heres some pics with the stock!
Its now set up to clamp on and off it takes only a few minutes to put in the orignal hammer screw but this one dont get in the way leaveing it on.
Its a 3 piece screw and locks the stock on great!
the leather has been added so the nickle back strap dont mark up.

P1010020_35.jpg

That's a gorgeous piece....:cool:
 
Back
Top Bottom