Name one caliber you think will be extinct within the next 5 years.

22 short has been around for ever and I doubt its going to go extinct within 5 years

7mmwsm i can see going within a few years

204 ruger maybe. Really expensive varmint ammo that is also a barrel burner

17hm2 maybe, not many people use that round


204 Ruger will be around for a long time to come, the ammo isn't that expensive, buck a round. Most guys reload for it. FS
 
I would say .38S&W but I reload for mine so it will be around for more than five years.

.30-30 will never die. There are just too damn many levers out there to even begin to count.

Probably some weird european cartridges may go the way of the dodo.
 
+1 on continued manufacture of .22 Short. The move to .22LR in ISSF rapid fire pistol has eliminated one of the main applications, but there will always be a demand for a low noise rimfire.

My predictions for extinction are the .17 HM2, the Remington short magnums, and the Ruger short magnums.
 
I'm thinking the original poster saying 30-30 was a joke. :) 30-30, .308, 30-06 and 45-70 will be around as long as the USA exists IMHO.

Fail: wssm's, short Rem's, 30TC
 
17m2, only a rimfire could truly go extinct. If they stop producing ammo, the writing is on the wall. Lessing of course folk want to start necking down 22lr on their own, and installing .17" vmax's.

If it can be handloaded, it ain't going away.
 
All the fricken RSAUM and WSSM. No one really cares about them. 5 years or 20 years, i can't say, but I see them going the way of the dodo.
 
17H2

It's already going "poof!"

I don't think the 17 HM2 is going anywhere for while yet. Steve Hornady was asked point blank at the last SHOT show about it's future, and he stated that Hornady will NOT be walking away from the cartridge. Hornady has invested a lot of resources in the .17 HM2, and while ammuntion sales have been not what they had hoped originally, it's sales have been improving.

The cartridge has found a firm place and following with squirrel hunters, who say it's the perfect choice for what they do. The 17HMR is too powerful, the .22LR not quite enough, but the Mach2 fits the bill perfectly between the two. Great accuracy, longer range than the .22LR, and low report.

I can imagine squirrel hunters are a small minority, but they are a vocal one. My guess is Savage will chamber rifles in 17 HM2 for a long time to come. As far as I know, CZ is the only other manufacturer chambering it.

What hurt the cartridge most was Ruger's refusal or inability to offer the 10/22 in 17 HM2. Had they done that, chances are it would have taken off in popularity much more than what it did.

Companies like EABCO are selling a pile 10/22 17 HM2 coversion kits, it's one of their most popular items.......
 
Back
Top Bottom