I have also talked with the RCMP techs. Pretty much everything that has been reported in this thread is correct. But keep in mind, for the last 16 years the RCMP has interpreted the law to be exactly the way all of us have interpreted it as well. The fact that their legal counsel is now changing their minds as far as alterations to caliber to an antique handgun does not necessarily change the law, and the law for antique status is clear. An antique status letter from the RCMP tech unit is not mandatory in Canada and never was, if your handgun meets the requirements of the law as it is written then you have nothing to be concerned about, it is by law an antique, they just will not give you a letter. It will however be interesting if there ever has to be a debate in court of this, how will they cover their asses for writing bad law to begin with. I am told that they have no intention of trying to revoke any status letters already given out over the last 16 years, the changes to issuance of antique status letters will take place on a go forward basis.
I just got an antique status letter last week on a Colt SAA in 38 special, I don't write the law I just work within it and we all just abide by the law that is provided for us by the Government of this great country.