New to reloading

Hey I'm a young guy who is trying to decide whether to get into reloading. I had a guy reload some for my Weatherbys and he did a phenomenal job while still being cheaper than factory ammo. But reloading is still pretty expensive, the guy who reloaded for me moved away and now I'm trying to decide if it's worth it for me to learn it. I don't know anyone who is willing to teach me so that poses a big problem in my opinion. But you guys out there have more smarts and experience so what do you think?
I see you are showing as being in Manitoba - I am on West side of province, within 5 miles of Saskatchewan border - North of Highway 16 (Russell, Mb to Yorkton, Sk) but South of Manitoba Highway 10 (Yorkton,Sk to Roblin, Mb). There Is another CGN fellow from near MacNutt, Sk that I help to get started to reload - bring your own consumables - you would be welcome to use my tooling, books, etc. as you acquire your own. I have loaded for 7mm Weatherby and for 300 Weatherby - I also have dies and rifle for 7mm-300 Weatherby "wildcat". I do not own tooling for any other sizes - like 257 Weatherby, 378 Weatherby, etc. Drop me a message if you want to meet up somewhere.
 
If you start reloading, it will make you shoot more, and that will probably make you a better shooter. I haven't calculated exactly how many rounds per year you'd have to shoot of a certain cartridge for reloading to be cheaper, but it's more than the majority shoot. It also depends on your methods and behavior; if you're like some of us who enjoy doing endless load development and you're intrigued by every new bullet or powder or case prep method that you hear about, and you constantly switch cartridges or rifles, you're going to end up with shelves full of half empty powder jugs and bullet boxes that all represent dollars spent. If you are able to settle on one load per rifle, stock up when your stuff is on sale, pick up range brass, and load hundreds or thousands of rounds of that same recipe over many years, your cost per shot will be very low indeed and you won't have a ton of components sitting idle.
Neither approach is wrong, but if you go the route of constant change you'll spend some more money.

Start with a basic kit, and when you can, I'd add a power case trimmer and a tumbler.
 
Humm! I'm, new I only started 45 years ago. Some here I'm sure are older than smokeless gunpowder, maybe some as old as blackpouder. ;) My biggest years were probably around a 1000 rounds for rifle a year, now less rifles and less $, a couple hundred. Days of loading to save money are mostly gone, but things like 8x57 are joke at the store and reloading makes the most sence. The actual reloading takes very little time, brass preparation does. Should you choose the accept the depth of the rabbit hole, my advice is to try to collect 3+ times as you need. As I shoot over the year I just dump them into a bucket, then on the winter days when nothing is happening I'll pour a cup of coffee and do 1 process a day-ish depending on how much there is.
Cleen
Annual
Decap and resize
Trim and chamfer
Braking it up, makes it less tedious, and you will do a better job focusing on one task at a time. But I'm old and slow.
 
^^^ Like the guy above!! Glad to hear there are more like me! I used to go through at least a carton or two of primers a year (1,000 to 2,000) but I have slowed down some - probably have not used up a carton in the past 10 years. Still stocking up for "one day". And the rest of components are similar - bullets, brass and powders. Reloading tools do not seen to wear out - or if they break, usually I can get another or fix the broken thing. Breaking the sequence into stages sounds very similar to me - probably most time spent on prepping the brass - I have read (and tried) many of the bench rest reloading techniques - and some, but not all, apply to store bought and milsurp guns like I have. I have met and talked with extremes at both ends - "deer hunters" who fuss over bench rest techniques and loose sight of what they are trying to accomplish - or perhaps never knew? "Target shooters" who want hundreds of rounds done up in a few hours, but can not tell you the COAL (Cartridge Over All Length) or OTCH (Ogive To Case Head) measurement for their rifle.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DGY
OP, I was in your position two years ago.

I bought a Rem700 SA based W308 from an elder f-class shooter, with a promise that he will reload for me. I got about 200 loaded rounds with a gun, and ever since I never bought a factory amo.

He moved out and I had to make a decision, but also knowing that I will not need a large amount.
I am a large volume shooter in gun club but practising/training with my PCP airguns. The 30 cal I meant for occasional long ranges only 500M an longer.

Decided buying all the tools from L.E.Wilson. Definitely not a cheapest option, but ... I am well mechanical minded and I like good quality tools for a lot of my other hobbies.

If you decide towards a rabbit hole, remember the saying "buy ones cry ones".
 
  • Like
Reactions: DGY
Hey I'm a young guy who is trying to decide whether to get into reloading. I had a guy reload some for my Weatherbys and he did a phenomenal job while still being cheaper than factory ammo. But reloading is still pretty expensive, the guy who reloaded for me moved away and now I'm trying to decide if it's worth it for me to learn it. I don't know anyone who is willing to teach me so that poses a big problem in my opinion. But you guys out there have more smarts and experience so what do you think?
The prices is going up, and availability is going down. I'm a retiree, it's gives me great ammo for less costs. I shoot a variety of calibers, and it only increases , what I can shoot. I can load a number of them super cheap I spent money on a single stage , because I spent a price of a couple boxes of ammo on reloading. This cheap reloading has got me saving money right out the do. , I admit that I've invested more than some, but less in other cases, and am investing I mean saving more (LOL). I started loading .223 & 40 S&W. It's the best cheapest or most expensive hobby to have
 
Back
Top Bottom