NorthCoastBigBore
CGN frequent flyer
- Location
- Northwest BC (Rural) 103-I-##
Picked this up earlier in the month. The barrel is rusted through so I'll not be touching it off. I wanted it for the hardware and maybe hang it on the wall so it matters not to me. British proofmarks on the barrel, no maker's mark (I see this style around a lot and it seems to have been your low end garden variety fowling piece).
One thing I'm curious about is that the barrel appears to be made from a series fine strips forged in a straight pattern rather than Damascus or Twist style. The rusting does follow the seams of the apparently forged strips in this pattern... I DO recall reading about this straight seamed pattern sometime in a book (remember those?) but it could be my memory.
I poked around Google but all I could come up with is Damascus and Twist (similar but different), all the images I see online are "twisted", albeit at different rates. Sorry the photo is blurry...but I think you can see the straight seams.
Any input on this method of barrel making is appreciated!
One thing I'm curious about is that the barrel appears to be made from a series fine strips forged in a straight pattern rather than Damascus or Twist style. The rusting does follow the seams of the apparently forged strips in this pattern... I DO recall reading about this straight seamed pattern sometime in a book (remember those?) but it could be my memory.
I poked around Google but all I could come up with is Damascus and Twist (similar but different), all the images I see online are "twisted", albeit at different rates. Sorry the photo is blurry...but I think you can see the straight seams.
Any input on this method of barrel making is appreciated!


















































