Percussion revolving musket legal for Muzzle-loader season

What is the firing range of the 1855 colt revolving rifle?

The legal question would probably confuse the people that you are going to have to ask for a definative answer. Its more "primitive" than most inline rifles and more deserving to be included than they are on that count.

From an ethical perspective, I would really hesitate to use it on deer beyond 50 yards as the powder capacity is pretty limited (~40gr I think). I realise that isn't quite what you are asking but it still bears pointing out.
This is about the most useful answer I've gotten.

My question was of the legality of a revolving musket. I'm a skilled machinist with imagination and to do up a 50.cal+ revolver to cap & ball carbine would be child's play for me. I'm always thinking about a clean ethical kill!!!!!!! Anyway, I guess I'm own my own with this one.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110501060047AAsBqj9

"The long cylinder of this rifle held up to a 60 gr charge of FFFg black powder. That is equal to the charge of the Walker Colt. This will propel either conical or round ball over 1,200 ft per sec.
They made them with 6 shot cylinders in some .30 calibers and .40+ calibers and also some 5 shot .50+ calibers.
Also if you used a 40 grain charge the loading lever would not be able to press the ball in far enough to reach the powder charge *in any caliber other than the ones made with .36 cal or smaller*. And the ball or bullet MUST rest against the powder charge because any air space can create a dangerous pressure spike that could rupture the cylinder just as the original walkers had cylinders rupture.

I own a replica Colt Walker and I can hit targets up to 200 yards away. I have cronoed some rounds and reached up to 1,320 ft per sec with a .454 round ball." For whatever it's worth, I've added this link and I'm not the guy with the Colt Walker.
 
Take a percussion revolver, put grease/lube/wax/whatever over the bullets, and fire one shot. How much grease/lube/wax/whatever is left over the bullets on either side of the chamber that fired? Enough to prevent multiple discharges?
Multiple discharges can be initiated at the back end as well. Maybe more chance there than at the front end.
For a design pattern look at the Billinghurst cylinder rifles. They were loaded from the muzzle with patched balls. No question about whether they are muzzleloading or sort of breechloading.
In your thread title, you use the term "musket". Are you thinking about smoothbore?
 
I've turned a few old damascus SxS shotguns into muzzle-loaders; threading chamber end for breach plug and adding space and fixtures for a ramrod. I wanted to challenge myself this time and I don't claim to be an expert on firearms by any stretch and the laws pertaining to such. Thanks, this "Billinghurst cylinder rifle" is just what I was looking for. :)
 
Last edited:
A query: whoever would have thought of using a BALL in a muzzleloader? I thought they were all designed for forged-copper expanding bullets and 209 primers and had 6 - 24X scopes on them! REAL primitive!
...........................................................................

I wonder what season Harry Pope would be allowed to use......

Like, what can you possibly SAY about a combination breech/muzzleloading rifle???

....................................................................................................

Along this line of thinking, there is a modern combination breech/muzzleloader made in Mexico. The cap goes in the back end, powder and shot down the barrel. Removable breech plug can be removed and you then can shoot shells if you can afford them.

.....................................................................................................

BTW, Colt made revolving rifles up to .56 cal, a few in .58 and even .69 for military try-outs, revolving shotguns in 20-bore and 10-bore. He called them the Model 1855, used the Root sidehammer system. Ran into one a few years ago at a gun show, nobody knew what it really was, but the price-tag was sure high enough!

If the object is hunting with old-fashioned guns, this certainly ought to qualify.
.
 
If you are building a rifle of your own design then it should be fairly easy to create a very viable hunting rifle that would be a joy see in operation. Hopefully you will share your project with us here if you do go ahead with it.

You should be able to pull up the actual hunting regulations and law that pertain to muzzleloaders in your province and see how its worded. If that still isn't clear enough there must be someone in the Sustainable Resources department (or whatever) who can help you out but it might be quite a process to find the right person.

Best of luck!
 
When you design your mechanism, keep the risk of flash-over in mind.
It was common to hold these things with the support hand right back almost cradling the strong hand. Hold the forend, and if something goes wrong.....
A carbine would likely balance better with this stance.
Loading a Billinghurst with patched balls would really reduce the chance of front end ignition.
Make sure any cap flash or leakage from the nipple will not be directed toward another cap.
Double barrel and turn-over repeaters were popular for a reason.
 
If brave and looking for a repeating front stuffer challange how about a super imposed percussion gun..... or if super brave a self priming flintlock.

I'd take tiraqs concerns to heart 2,3,4 or 5 charges going off in the cylinders ouch!

One thing you could do to lessen the impact of that eventuality is to make the cylinder well forward of where it 'should be' i.e make trigger linkage long enough that you could locate hammer and cylinder in front of where you would place your hand. It would mean a shorter barrel for a given length of rifle but would keep all the burny stuff far from your peepers.
 
Back
Top Bottom