Pick the best Civil War revolver

Pick the best

  • La Mat/ 44 cal. 9 shot with a shot gun barrel.

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Starr/ 44 cal. double action

    Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Colt Walker/ 44cal

    Votes: 15 12.9%
  • Remington /44 cal

    Votes: 52 44.8%
  • 1St Model Dragoon/ 44 cal

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Colt Navy/36 cal

    Votes: 15 12.9%
  • Colt Army/ 44 cal

    Votes: 32 27.6%
  • Patterson /36 cal

    Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Baby Dragoon/31 cal

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Confederate copies

    Votes: 1 0.9%

  • Total voters
    116
it just IS better

The remington is a fine revolver, superior to a single shot percussion horse pistol or the savage series and pepperboxes no doubt....;)

But better then the colt....Im sorry sir -at BEST- it is equal in function

....that is after its hefted out of its holster and you get a bead on target.

Hold and point a colt and a remington, the colt is a natural.


Its like comparing a volvo 240 and a ferrari, sure the volvo is going to handel better under abuse....but....;);)


Ok the rem has a top strap, but the colt has a arbor pin 2x or 3x as thick as that strap.

And the hollywoodesque move of percussion rem's having their cylinders swapped in the heat of action:rolleyes:

---yeah right keep a capped loaded 6 shot 44cal cylinder on your belt ready to swap, until you bump that cylinder with the butt of your carbine or anything harder then your elbow and blow a hole in your leg or kill your horse.


All the accounts I have read has men carrying multiple loaded percussion revolvers, not 1 revolver and multiple cylinders.
 
The remington is a fine revolver, superior to a single shot percussion horse pistol or the savage series and pepperboxes no doubt....;)

But better then the colt....Im sorry sir -at BEST- it is equal in function

....that is after its hefted out of its holster and you get a bead on target.

Hold and point a colt and a remington, the colt is a natural.


Its like comparing a volvo 240 and a ferrari, sure the volvo is going to handel better under abuse....but....;);)


Ok the rem has a top strap, but the colt has a arbor pin 2x or 3x as thick as that strap.

And the hollywoodesque move of percussion rem's having their cylinders swapped in the heat of action:rolleyes:

---yeah right keep a capped loaded 6 shot 44cal cylinder on your belt ready to swap, until you bump that cylinder with the butt of your carbine or anything harder then your elbow and blow a hole in your leg or kill your horse.


All the accounts I have read has men carrying multiple loaded percussion revolvers, not 1 revolver and multiple cylinders.

Now, now....I`ve never had a problem with keeping extra charged cylinders on my person..And I`ve never shot my horse :D.....And it is rather easy to swap out cylinders.....But you are right about the Colt having a more natural point of aim....Personally, I like the look of my Colt 1860 Army over my 1858 Remington.....And hey!...Don`t knock the pepperboxes!..I have an, 1836 Ethan Allen, 6 barreled pepperbox and it`s a hoot to shoot!..Very slow to re-load, but it looks cool!....;)
 
faves

My cap & ball inventory includes:

Remington '58 .44 (3)
Colt '60 .44
Colt '51 .36 (3)
Colt 3rd Model Dragoon
Colt 'Texas Paterson' .36 (2)

The only ones I haven't fired are the Patersons, but I love the way they point. I just can't be bothered to remove the cylinders to load and cap. They are the early model without cut-away notch on the recoil shield to facilitate capping or loading lever.

Had a '47 Walker until selling it to a CAS shooter pal who wanted to match it with another for a pair. That's a lot of gun! Not really a holster arm.

The Rems are indestructible and have none of the vices of the Colts. The grip doesn't suit large hands. One of mine is amongst the most accurate handguns I've ever owned.
As for swapping cylinders in the heat of combat - yeah, right ..... I don't care what Josie Wales did. Drop a loaded/capped cylinder and see how fast you wear out your welcome.

The '51s are a delight to handle and shoot, but subject to all the problems mentioned - cap fragments, loose wedges, etc.

The '60 is beautiful, a delight to shoot, but suffers from all the problems associated with the '51. Hits hard enough to be regarded as a serious combat arm.

At a clinic I put on for our reenactment group, all the men gravitated to the Walker despite my warnings. They insisted I stoke it to the max. After the third shot, all had a world class flinch and the target was the safest place on the planet! The only reason they shot the gun dry was because the women were watching.

The ladies shot the '51 and ALL put their rounds into the target at 15 yards.
As a combat arm, it borders on the ridiculous for power. The Brits gave up on them during the Indian Mutiny and went to American and British .44s and 45s.

The Dragoon is powerful, but heavy as a holster arm. Ballistically, it's in the power class of a .38 Spl. +P. Caps are not a problem as with the '51. For me it's a two hand hold.

Having said all this - as a combat arm, I'd rank the Remington 1st, the Dragoons 2nd and the '51s 3rd.
 
Don't think this poll is going to change much more, so will let it go a few more days, than to the second part with the top 3 or 4 to get it down to the top two
 
'58 ???

Just another comment on the Remingtons ....

What most of us refer to as the '58 remington is actually the "New Army Model" introduced in 1863, well into the Civil War.

The '58 misnomer came about due to the patent date stamp on the barrel.
 
Well you could say that, but I gave everyone the opition of picking at least two or three, figured that would give people a first and second choice.
 
I did say that...well I typed it...an I was just razzin ya anyway.

Besides,if it wasn't for the Remington guys voting for the Colts as second or third or fourth picks they'd only have a couple of votes :p



OK you Colt guys...line up with Musketfire so we can lob some rounds at ya's



"btw, Im only joking when I make fun of the Colts, its a beautiful arm and one that I would love to own"
:D
 
I did say that...well I typed it...an I was just razzin ya anyway.

Besides,if it wasn't for the Remington guys voting for the Colts as second or third or fourth picks they'd only have a couple of votes :p



OK you Colt guys...line up with Musketfire so we can lob some rounds at ya's



:D


:p Sure

but if your using those clunky remingtons

Me and the other folk with taste will have time to break down camp, make coffee and hide behind a big old oak before you clear leather and un snag the things.....;):D

I never could vote more then once, I wonder why??

Oh.... I see the holster bricks need multiple votes, thats why the remington seems to have so many.


I kinda like the star single action, seems to be a more streamlined choice over other brick styles;)

That is if I had to live without a slick lightning fast and beautiful arm like Mr Colt made.:nest:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom