Please remove

scjordan

Regular
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
295   0   0
Location
Erin, Ontario
Hey all

Came across a Brown Bess that I need ID for. Here is what I know.....

It is a conversion to percussion, although the hammer is missing. Great shape and missing ram rod.
10th Royal Veterans Battalion 6/39 marked on brass butt stock. I would imagine company and rack number.
The soldiers name is also stamped on the brass side plate and barrel. "Daniel C Currie"

I'll get picks up in a bit, thought I would post then add.

Brown Bess experts...... thoughts? 1st, 2nd, 3rd model?
DSCN0659_zpsmhmp1j5x.jpg

DSCN0653_zps5zbuqb6f.jpg

DSCN0656_zpslgdahiey.jpg

DSCN0657_zps2rivlifz.jpg

DSCN0655_zpsskoti7un.jpg

DSCN0654_zpsq1xto8jo.jpg

DSCN0658_zpsshix9fyi.jpg



thxs in advance
jordy
 
Last edited:
I don`t imagine that Daniel Currie was the soldier that it was issued to. the stamping is too modern and too amateurishly done. a soldier stamping his name on the Kings property would have resulted in serious disciplinary action, as even today it would. compare it to the stamping/ engraving on the butt plate. probably a previous (recent) owner. I also don`t think the PQ was an accepted term by the british/canandian military back when this musket was in service. i could be wrong.
 
Ya not an expert at all. Shootable....no idea.
No hammer. No nipped but bore looks as it should for its age. Dark but not overly pitted.
I would try for sure.
 
Agreed on the stamping not being original (and being recent). You should be able to find an unmarked original sideplate - some fitting would be required but I have seen some. Shame (and beyond comprehension why) Mr. Currie also stamped that original barrel.

Nice find!
 
Daniel Currie's name and location are part of the history of the piece. Can't see that they harm the value. Without these markings it would be a generic piece, although the butt tang markings are more often found on Long Land and Short Land muskets, rather than on India Pattern muskets.
Did a quick google for Daniel Currie Hull PQ, and got quite a number of hits. Established Hull family. Wouldn't be at all surprised if this was not a long time family gun.
It would be interesting to do some research, see if the actual history of the gun could be determined.
Also did a google for the 10th Royal Veterans Battalion. Interesting history. I wonder if a family member served in this Battalion.
 
When in history did Quebec or Lower Canada become PQ? Brown Bess 3rd Pattern was mostly being replaced 1855 or so.Those kept were converted. Was PQ name after 1867? Is that a brass stud in front of tang?
 
Last edited:
Infedeleggwelder and others have given very good advice. I know the Brown Bess for many years. I beleive yours is original India Land Pattern. As mentioned usually the 1st and 2nd pattern would sometimes be regimentally marked. But your buttplate looks nice. Looks like a store stamp 1S maybe. Barrel inspectors look good, and underneath perhaps more or a name. A more recent owner may have put there name to barrel and sideplate.
A pic of the lock might show TOWER, Crown GR, crown arrow or maybe something else. Could see if conversion done nicely or pan just ripped off the plate.
Value. 3rd Pattern Bess is the common musket for sale, in good to v good complete flintlock working order 2,000-3,000. Something unique, more. Percussion usually drops value a lot, unless it's a rare bird. *Yours converted, minor cracks, needs long percussion hammer+rod+nipple+ 2 sling swivels/screws, with barrel and sideplate questions, brass studs/tacks added, $800-$1,500.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom