Posession of antique firearms and ammunition.

Slowbalt

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
42   0   2
Reading the criminal code it appears that an antique firearm can be possessed with ammunition.

First question is: Since you can own an antique without a license, can you own ammo for it?

I know you need your PAL to buy ammo, but I have never been asked for one to purchase components. This brings me to my second question:

Do you need a PAL to possess ammunition?

Thanks.

(I'm no stranger to guns and I do have my license. This is an informational question only)
 
1. Yes
2. No.

The law says you need a PAL to purchase loaded ammo. It doesn't say anything about license requirements for possession of ammo or buying components to make ammo. Leave it there and be happy. :)
 
Depending on the powder you might need a PAL since some of them fall under the explosives act and your exempt from that part if you have a Firearms License. Up to a certain amount ect. Some powders not all. That or you need an explosives license.
 
Depending on the powder you might need a PAL since some of them fall under the explosives act and your exempt from that part if you have a Firearms License. Up to a certain amount ect. Some powders not all. That or you need an explosives license.

you can back this up right?

afaik, no paper needed for components, powder included.

how bout a list of those powders that fall under the "explosives act"
 
Depending on the powder you might need a PAL since some of them fall under the explosives act and your exempt from that part if you have a Firearms License. Up to a certain amount ect. Some powders not all. That or you need an explosives license.
Correct me if I am wrong here but black powder is classed as a low order explosive. A low order explosive pushes and shoves rather than fractures, and cuts. ANFO Ammonium Nitrate and fuel oil are also examples of low order explosives. High Order explosives would be Data Sheet C, C4, Petain, 70/30 dynamite etc. I have three antique replica muzzle loaders, powder, and shot to shoot with and no explosive license. You do not need a PAL to own and shoot any flint lock rifle as it is not deemed a firearm by the powers to be. You do however, need a restricted to shoot a flintlock pistol. It is treated like any other center fire modern side arm.
 
Re possession of an antique; if for some reason you have been prohibited from owning firearms, you also may not own antique firearms even though you do not require a PAL to acquire one. I seem to recall a court case several years ago where the individual had been banned from owning firearms and thought that he could still own antiques. He was found guilty because the ban was on firearms and did not distinguish what kind of firearms

cheers mooncoon
 
Antique Firearms are deemed not to be a firearm by Criminal Code of Canada. Therefore, being prohibited from owning firearms by that very Criminal Code would not cover antiques,.

Partially it depends on the wording of the specific prohibition. Just as important however is that antiques are not firearms for the purposes of licensing and registration. They are firearms if used in a crime and they also are firearms for the purposes of storage regulations. And in the court case I referred to, the defendant was most definitely convicted for possessing antique firearms contrary to his prohibition

cheers mooncoon
 
you can back this up right?

afaik, no paper needed for components, powder included.

how bout a list of those powders that fall under the "explosives act"

That would be black powder you need a pal to have it or an explosives license say to make fireworks your allowed up to a certain amount of it in your home if you go over you need a building made to store it outside of the home away from railroad tracks ect. Just read the explosives act it covers smokeless and black on the amounts you can store it says your exempt if you have a firearms license. Up to a certain amount that is.

I called the explosives center and asked about black powder since I wanted to get into muzzle loading so I wanted to make sure I was covered for storage and stuff like that I also wanted to make it for my self as well which you can do. If you have a firearms license. (I was looking into cannons that use lots of powder)
 
While waiting for my PAL to come in (just a drivers license) , I was able to buy, powder, primers, and shot for shotgun shell reloading. However it was my understanding I was not allowed to posess the finished ammo, and my buddy would take it home with him.
 
Phone RCMP 1 800 731 4000 the first recorded message while on the phone "you no longer need to register non restricted firearms but you need a PAL to possess and acquire firearms and to acquire ammunition" clearly states acquire on ammo not possess give it a call
 
Back
Top Bottom