Question about the Antique papers from the RCMP

skneub

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
80   0   1
I know search is my friend lol...
But it dont work as well on my phone...

Anyhow since I am totaly new to this (Antique thing)
And have one to be delivered I expect on the 5th..

I wonder about the paper , its importance (since I intend on shooting this from time to time)
And how I go about getting the "letter" ?

I understand it will need to be transported the same as any restricted handgun.
As well as stored the same.
Thats a non issue to me.

I just dont feel like getting hauled in...for shooting this .
And so I wonder

Thanks for a new addiction.....lol
 
As I recall, the letter is just confirmation that it is an antique. If you want to shoot it, the regular restricted rules apply.
Contact the CFC.
 
As I recall, the letter is just confirmation that it is an antique. If you want to shoot it, the regular restricted rules apply.
Contact the CFC.

No, this is not correct, an antique can be fired anyplace a non-restricted firearm can be fired SUBJECT TO provincial rules on firearms in hunting seasons. IE, in New Brunswick, you cannot have a firearm greater than 23 cal in the woods outside of the Bear, Deer and Moose seasons (you msut also have the proper license for the seaon) without getting a permit to target practice EVEN on your own property. Other provinces may vary.
 
Exactly. Letter not necessary. Unless its something unusual. Shoot anywhere you can a non restricted. Transport as restricted to cover your A$$. Storage only to prevent theft.
In Ontario not allowed for any hunting as per regs.
 
No, this is not correct, an antique can be fired anyplace a non-restricted firearm can be fired SUBJECT TO provincial rules on firearms in hunting seasons. IE, in New Brunswick, you cannot have a firearm greater than 23 cal in the woods outside of the Bear, Deer and Moose seasons (you msut also have the proper license for the seaon) without getting a permit to target practice EVEN on your own property. Other provinces may vary.

Glad you guys cleared this question up for the guy that might not know already ;-)

But do I need the letter ?
I have researcher the ELG proofmark ;-)
Its legit
 
If you get the "letter", it's whereabouts is now known to the RCMP.
Might not be a good thing, if they decide to change their mind about the classification.
 
If you get the "letter", it's whereabouts is now known to the RCMP.
Might not be a good thing, if they decide to change their mind about the classification.

All I care about is staying out of jail and enjoying my stuff safely ;-)
It brought me extra joy to not have to give a number saying I have said "PAL"

At some point I may go for my rpal..
just so I can own one (incase they grandfather that later...)


Thanks for the replys guys :)
I now dont have as much to think about...except buying reloading stuff.
but thats another thread lol
 
You only need an opaque locked case to transport, no trigger lock, and they can be left out, just unloaded, when in "storage".

RCMP letters stay on your file forever, you can search for a thread I posted with downloadable versions of a letter I wrote up if you are not comfortable with the RCMP letter.
 
41 Colt has constructed a very good letter to use as an alternative. In my opinion, it is better than the RCMP letter because it actually quotes and references the appropriate sections of the law AND it maintains your privacy. You can download it from the link in this thread here http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...-Letter-For-Download?highlight=Antique+Letter Along with that letter, I would recommend a photocopy of some source that shows that your antique was made prior to 1898. Carry the papers with you when you transport your antique.
 
Exactly. Letter not necessary. Unless its something unusual. Shoot anywhere you can a non restricted. Transport as restricted to cover your A$$. Storage only to prevent theft.
In Ontario not allowed for any hunting as per regs.

last time I checked the hunting regs only cover restricted and prohibited handguns not antique or sub 500fps air pistols. I do not have a single letter but I do carry the antique laws and the flow chart for the law man that dose not want to take his time to read
 
So, how have the latest RCMP lab "interpretations" affected that letter?

Which letter, their own or .41colts?

In the case of the one done by .41colt their interpretation has no affect as that is a direct quote of the law, with the only addendum to include the antique that you're carrying. The law hasn't changed, just their interpretation, and the lab is relying on people not having the resources to challenge their opinion.

In the case of it affecting their own letter then yes it has as they have now shown their hand to have multiple ways out of it and not honouring the antique letter, all of which I have personally experienced since the changes in interpretation.

  • The main excuse for not honouring letters is that the lab has changed from working under Firearms Technology Unit (FTU-L) to the Specialized Firearms Support Services (SFSS). This apparently allows them to say that any decisions made under the direction of the FTU were wrong and that new decisions made by the SFSS are correct. The interesting part here is the SFSS retains many, if not all, of the same employees of the FTU that made the classifications in the first place.

    The SFSS is the lab responsible for the changes in interpretation, and changes to some FRT #'s.
  • They have also used the "based on the information that you supplied" portion of the letter to disregard letters obtained by the previous owners. Meaning that they can disregard letters by saying that something was provided incorrectly at time of obtaining the letter, and they don't have to reveal what the problem information was.
  • They do not consider previous letters to be precedent.

    For example if the SFSS has done their job correct to the wording of the law in the past and lettered a converted antique they will not allow that letter to be used as precedent for a new letter. Even though the letter comes from the same lab so they have no change of lab excuse such as the change from FTU to SFSS.
  • Certain published resources that were once considered as proof by both the FTU and SFSS are now no longer interpreted as being good enough to obtain or honour previous issued letters.
Now that list I just made may seem off topic to this thread, but it's very relevant. To the OP and those reading this I say avoid the letter and contact with the SFSS at all costs. They've shown their hand that they will not honour letters issued by their department and are only using it as a tracking resource of how many antiques are in the country and who the original letter applicant was.

For those about to say "but they can't prove if I sold it" I would highly suggest you learn up on computer forensics. Also you saying that you sold something will never stop a warrant from being issued and used to search the premisses of the original owner.

RCMP SFSS issued antique letters are worthless, and in the case of wilderness carry I'd rather take extra toilet paper into the bush as it's value far exceeds the antique letter, even after use if you know what I'm saying. Learn up on your choice of antique, make your own letter quoted from the law like .41colts, and carry printouts of hard copy published works. All of which carry more value than a letter that is proven to not be honoured by the division that issued it.

Again I say; avoid contact with the SFSS and don't apply for antique letters. They're nothing but a waste of taxpayer resources and a form of tracking the antique (aka backdoor registry).
 
Back
Top Bottom