Reichrevolver

I'd start by slugging the bore on the Reichsrevolver. The .44 Russian uses a .429" bullet so as long as it slugs around that and the case is of the proper length and dimensions so that it fits in the cylinder properly you should be fine. Ideally you would take a casting of the cylinder to check the dimensions against the .44 Russian case. Providing it all checks out the hardest part would be determining the proper powder charge and bullet weight.
 
I have 2, 1879 and 1883.
44Russian works perfectly in both. I've heard some will accept 44sp cases but mine don't.

The above advice is good but a chamber cast shouldn't really be needed. The shape of a straight pistol case makes it easy to just measure with calipers.

Are you planning to run black powder or smokeless?
 
I was looking at buying a 1883 and wanted to make sure I could shoot it. I was thinking black powder? What are you using? What are you using for bullets?
Thanks
 
Black powder works really well and it's super easy to just figure out how much fits. 2Fg or 3Fg are both acceptable.
I've used soft cast (20-1 lead-tin) in 240gr semi wadcutter and 200gr round nose flat point.
For smokeless I'll check my notes and get back to you.
 
As always approach any load data from random internet sources with caution. Results are subjective as I don't have a chronograph and feel that it wouldn't tell the whole story if I did.

Taffin tests from which I took some information:
http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt44russ.htm
I believe he used balloon head cases which have more internal volume and would give lower pressures than the same load in modern brass.

My current load for most of what goes in my Reich revolvers is 4.5gr of Unique with the 200gr rnfp cast bullet but I've gone as high as 6gr and felt that was too much. Alliant lists 5.4gr as max. 4.5gr of Unique with the 240gr semi wadcutter seemed a bit snappy in the 1883 so I stick to the 200gr.

I also tried 3.5gr of Trailboss with the 200gr rnfp which felt like a comfortable load but I like the less steep pressure curve of Unique. IMR data I have recommends 3.0-3.9gr of Trailboss.
 
Back
Top Bottom