I recently acquired a very interesting piece; It's a mid-nineteenth century revolver that was once owned by a Major Selwyn New of the Madras Staff Corps. His calling card is still inside the wooden case, along with the tiny key for the lock. It's engraved E. & G. Higham, Liverpool, but I wonder if they really made the gun, or just sold it? Does anybody know? It's registered as a .38, but I'm not convinced that's correct.
I did a little research on Major New and found that his Indian Mutiny medal sold in the UK for £330. Here's his bio:
Selwyn New was born in Clifton, near Bristol, on 5 March 1829, and educated at King’s College School, London. He was nominated to be a Cadet in the Madras Infantry for the season of 1848 and appointed Ensign in December of that year. He arrived in Madras in April 1849 where he was at first appointed to do duty with the 15th Madras N.I., and transferred to the 33rd N.I. in September 1849. In 1857-58, New served with the Kamptee Movable Column in the Saugor and Nerbudda Territories and in Raepore Deistrict, and was present at Moorwarah on 6 November 1857, and at the affairs of Kooaguan and Junapee. He was mentioned in the despatch of Major R. S. Sullivan concerning these operations (Calcutta Gazette 10 July 1858).
Promoted to Major in December 1868, he spent the next six years doing general duty as Staff Corps at Sumbulpore and at Secunderabad. He was promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel in December 1874, as Wing Officer 29th N.I., and retired in April 1877. He became Hon. Colonel shortly afterwards and died on 27 December 1877.
I did a little research on Major New and found that his Indian Mutiny medal sold in the UK for £330. Here's his bio:
Selwyn New was born in Clifton, near Bristol, on 5 March 1829, and educated at King’s College School, London. He was nominated to be a Cadet in the Madras Infantry for the season of 1848 and appointed Ensign in December of that year. He arrived in Madras in April 1849 where he was at first appointed to do duty with the 15th Madras N.I., and transferred to the 33rd N.I. in September 1849. In 1857-58, New served with the Kamptee Movable Column in the Saugor and Nerbudda Territories and in Raepore Deistrict, and was present at Moorwarah on 6 November 1857, and at the affairs of Kooaguan and Junapee. He was mentioned in the despatch of Major R. S. Sullivan concerning these operations (Calcutta Gazette 10 July 1858).
Promoted to Major in December 1868, he spent the next six years doing general duty as Staff Corps at Sumbulpore and at Secunderabad. He was promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel in December 1874, as Wing Officer 29th N.I., and retired in April 1877. He became Hon. Colonel shortly afterwards and died on 27 December 1877.
Last edited:


















































