Thanks Gaddye for a constructive post. Why I have not been notified that others were posting comments on this thread is beyond me. My remarks about the photos were not snobbish. As I age I have more of a tendancy to be abrupt and pointed for the sake of saving time and energy. To cover the point again....I did not have a camera with me...the seller lives far away so a return trip for a photo seemed a waste as I was just inquiring as to the name. Recently the seller called me to ask if I was interested and, because I had no luck with this post, I told him"no". Now, because of Gaddye's friendly and respectful posting I will see if I can get back there....with camera. What I was trying to find out was age of rifle as I thought possibly pre 1900. Now I do believe it is more recent and likely the maker has no collector value. Owner was asking $600.00 which I think is too much for this era rifle. Oh yes, I might add that I post all sorts of photos on GN and have for years. David