Ruger No 1 hunters

buckchaser

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Location
Ottawa
I may have the opportunity to make a "heirloom hunting rifle" purchase in the near future and I've always admired the Ruger No 1 - I think it might fit the bill for a cool rifle to keep long term.

Only question would be cartridge selection and that would be based on the type of hunting the rifle would be best at.

As a single shot I could see it better suited as an open country rifle (and thus a suitable cartridge - 243, etc.). But the No 1s are short/handy and might be a great thick cover thumper in something 30 caliber plus?

I've never handled/hunted with one so happy to hear feedback for those that have.
 
I have hunted with them off and I since 1980
And love them.
When I had my custom rifle built , it was on a #3action in .303 British.
I have killed aninals both close ( less than 12 yards ) and fairly far ( over 370)
With both irons and a scope of less than 8X.
I never felt hampered hunting in close cover bush hunting with a single shot Ruger .
The one I am hunting with this fall is in .280, but i have used them chambered in everything from 6.5x55 to 45/70. And from lightweight to just over 10 pounds

Cat
 

Attachments

  • FB_IMG_1630687678948.jpg
    FB_IMG_1630687678948.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 20250907_101632.jpg
    20250907_101632.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 68
I’ve owned 4 no1 over the years and my favorite one was my RSI in 30-06, really handy! I had one in 7x57 I should have kept… and one in 9.3x62… oh and one in 338 win mag, that one was my first real hunting rifle it wasn’t really fun to shoot.
Over the years I found that the no1 didn’t really fit me like it should have ergonomic’s wise so I never got an other one but still miss them!
 
I believe that the Ruger #1 is one of the greatest rifles manufactured in the USA however, there are areas for improvement, such as: the trigger and forend issues. Other than that, they are wonderful.
I killed this mule buck with the #1 chambered in the 300 H&H and currrently own a #1 chambered in the 6mm Remington. I've yet to hunt with the 6mm however, that may not occur until my next antelope hunt.
1790172170174.jpeg
1790172255178.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I may have the opportunity to make a "heirloom hunting rifle" purchase in the near future and I've always admired the Ruger No 1 - I think it might fit the bill for a cool rifle to keep long term.

Only question would be cartridge selection and that would be based on the type of hunting the rifle would be best at.

As a single shot I could see it better suited as an open country rifle (and thus a suitable cartridge - 243, etc.). But the No 1s are short/handy and might be a great thick cover thumper in something 30 caliber plus?

I've never handled/hunted with one so happy to hear feedback for those that have.

I was in this same boat a few years back. I had some cash from my fathers estate and wanted to add something "heirloom" like to the collection. One last gift from him so to speak.

I ended up with a #1-A in .303 that was sitting on Prophet River's consignment rack. I probably paid too much for it, and it isn't as accurate as my Tikka's are. But it fits me like it was made for me and I genuinely enjoy taking it out for walks in the fall.
 
The #1 is, IMHO, the classiest and most beautiful regular production rifle available today for reasonable money. I've had a ton, have only one now and would never be without at least one. Mine is a 26-inch-barrel Sporter model, with the mandatory Alex Henry fore-end and iron sights. The bigger bores like .375H&H, .416Rigby, .458WM or Lott all beat me like a rented mule in this platform. The #1 ergonomics are not perfect for me.

On the other hand, the #1 is a fairly heavy gun and IMHO doesn't really suit a small cartridge either. A #1 in my preferred Sporter configuration is just too portly to be an appropriate platform for a .22-cal or .243-cal cartridge. I suppose if it were the Varmint heavy-barrel model it would be okay, but then you've lost much of that lovely Farquharson-inspired aesthetic. I also, for similarly irrational reasons, don't love the idea of a short-action cartridge in a single-shot.

So, for me, the ideal cartridge for a #1 is something in the .30-cal range; the .300WM is just about perfect, a great combination of power, ranging ability and comfy recoil.

Trigger work? Fore-arm bedding? Yeah, a few of mine have needed that to perform at their best...just like a few of my bolt rifles.

One particular benefit of the #1 which I rarely see mentioned is its flawless ability to handle rimless cartridges. I have many other singleshot rifles and I can't think of any that have never gotten into the pickle of having the extractor slip out of the groove of a fired cartridge, leaving the empty brass in the chamber in front of the extractor. It's not common, quite rare actually, but it happens. But after owning and shooting probably a couple dozen #1's and loading some of them pretty hot, I've never had this occur with any of them.

When you're talking about getting a #1 or any other singleshot, you will eventually meet the guy who points out that for the same money, you could have gotten one or a couple of plastic-stocked Ruger Americans or Savages or whatever. That way you'd have a repeater for "quick follow-up shots" and wouldn't need to worry about weather issues. Just ignore those folks. The only heirloom they will pass on to their kids is a lack of soul...:)
 
I have had a few dozen over the years, only ones left are 45/70, .458 Wm, and 30/30, also have a #3 in .375 win.
They are very fine rifles, Foolishly I sold the 35 Whelen’s.
 
I find it somewhat hard to believe, but over the years I’ve owned more than a dozen #1’s, in various flavours. A #1A-CCH in .22 Hornet, a #1V in .223 Remington, a #1B in .240 Ackley Improved [a rechambered .243 Winchester], a #1B in .264 Winchester Magnum, a #1S in .275 Rigby, a #1A in .30-06, 2 different #1A’s in .303 British, a #1S in .357 Magnum, a #1S in 9.3x74R, 3 different #1H’s in .375 H&H [1 of which was engraved & French Grayed, a #1S in .45-70, & a #1H Custom in .500 N.E. 3". I still have a #1S in 7mm Rem. Mag, a custom #1 in .357 Magnum with a 26” B contour barrel & a #1S-C in .45-70 with its 26” barrel.
I’ve found the #1A’s are muzzle light [butt heavy?], whereas those with 24” barrels are neutral & the 26” #1S equipped rifles hang at the muzzle, which is quite nice when shooting on your hind legs.
I‘ve also owned a few original Farquharson rifles over the years. With my aging eyes, however, a scope sight is pretty well mandatory, at least if I want to hit something, and I could never bring myself to having any of them drilled & tapped in order to have a scope mounted, even a period-correct one [I cannot use tang / peep sights; I’ve tried & they don’t work for me]. Combine that with their Martini style extractors & “less than great” triggers, their soft steel barrels and it became obvious which one would have to do.
Unlike apparently a lot of folks, I do not care for the circumcised look of an A.H. fore-end. Give me a #1B style, albeit with an ebony or horn fore-end tip, any day. Of course, when we do that, we also need to have the other end [i.e. the recoil pad] covered in glove-soft leather, and, while we’re at it, they should have a proper resting place in a canvas & leather [yes, an Oak & Leather case would be preferable, but I am an impecunious, although some might aver penurious, pensioner] case, complete with the requisite accessories.
I agree whole-heartedly with jjohnwm as regards those bereft of taste, who prefer their classless, soulless plastic contraptions, although I do own a few of those myself.
 
OP, like others posting here, I have owned several Ruger No1 rifles in many chamberings.

At this stage in my life, I'm presently the owner of one. It's a custom job I did up for myself, chambered for the 338-06.

Very nicely figured butt and fore end, which can be luck of the draw when purchasing online, or even on special orders.

There is another very real thing to consider when purchasing a Ruger No1.

There was a cost cutting effort by Ruger back in the day to utilize a different barrel maker, Wilson. Some of those barrels left a lot to be desired, and the only fix was to replace the barrel.

I tried to get Ruger to replace the barrel on a 280 Remington in those days, and there was so much hassle, I finally gave up and sold the rifle to a fellow who knew its issues at a receiver only price.

I haven't been inclined to purchase Ruger No1 rifles for personal use since then, unless I am willing to do what has to be done to get them acceptably accurate.

Many of these fine rifles have "harmonics" issues, coming from the very small tenon extending from the receiver, under the barrel, that is used to hang the fore end on. The screw holding the fore arm to this tenon is at an angle, pushing the rear of the fore end into the receiver, which creates stresses. This can be a very fussy/tedious fix.

I've heard from several people that the later rifles are much better as far as accuracy goes.

Likely, some of the folks posting here can elaborate on these later rifles.

I don't know how many Ruger No1 rifles had accuracy issues, but if you go online and Google it, you will find thousands of pages of venting, as well as what was done to fix the issue, if it was possible.

I've seen them come off the LGS shelf and shoot sub moa groups with just about any ammo, I remember a 6mm Remington, chambered No1, that went with the first ex wife, being such a rifle.

My advice, if you intend to buy a "previously enjoyed" Ruger No1, is to ask if you can shoot it first, preferably in the company of the seller, with ammo they have on hand or use.
 
Last edited:
I may have the opportunity to make a "heirloom hunting rifle" purchase in the near future and I've always admired the Ruger No 1 - I think it might fit the bill for a cool rifle to keep long term.

Only question would be cartridge selection and that would be based on the type of hunting the rifle would be best at.

As a single shot I could see it better suited as an open country rifle (and thus a suitable cartridge - 243, etc.). But the No 1s are short/handy and might be a great thick cover thumper in something 30 caliber plus?

I've never handled/hunted with one so happy to hear feedback for those that have.
I just purchased a Ruger #1 brushed stainless 280 Ackley Improved. 1 of 125 ever made. Also, my heirloom rifle. I've wanted one since I was a kid. Bought it through Classic Sporting Arms out of Texas. Lee Newton has almost any caliber you could want. That's Lee's WT he took with his 280 AI.
 

Attachments

  • Ruger ! 280 AI.jpeg
    Ruger ! 280 AI.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Ruger 280 AI 3.jpg
    Ruger 280 AI 3.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Ruger 280 AI 2.jpg
    Ruger 280 AI 2.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Ruger 280 AI.jpg
    Ruger 280 AI.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 21
Ah, the lovely No1. Can't match James list but I've had a few. A 1-AB in 223 which was very beautiful but sadly it was not very accurate and finally went from the road. 1A in 270 and 7x57 that sadly were sold when our first child arrived. A semi custom (just aftermarket barrel) B in 358 Winchester, this one was hunted lots and was my favorite bear rifle. An A in 222 which I still can't figure out why I sold 🤦. Now I'm left with a 1A in 303 which gets out on perfect days and a 1980s 45-70 that's a recent purchase waiting for it's first trip out with me. Much prefer the models with open sights even though I can't use them! I think I'll try harder this fall to take them out more. Definitely don't feel limited by the single shell in the chamber, can't remember the last time I fired more than one out of any rifle other than at coyotes. Good luck to all those that venture out with the one shooters this fall. The stainless one above just reminded me I had a stainless laminate in 204 and an International in stainless walnut 257 Roberts.
 
Last edited:
I agree whole-heartedly with jjohnwm as regards those bereft of taste, who prefer their classless, soulless plastic contraptions, although I do own a few of those myself.
Don't get me wrong, I have a couple like that as well. Plastic has its place...on a tool. An heirloom piece is something else altogether. :)

Many of these fine rifles have "harmonics" issues, coming from the very small tenon extending from the receiver, under the barrel, that is used to hang the fore end on. The screw holding the fore arm to this tenon is at an angle, pushing the rear of the fore end into the receiver, which creates stresses. This can be a very fussy/tedious fix.

I've heard from several people that the later rifles are much better as far as accuracy goes.
There was much more talk about this problem in years past than in more recent times, so I think you have a point regarding the older vs the newer guns.

There was an article, likely in Guns & Ammo magazine, about a DIY fix. I tried it on one of my #1's, an older .45-70 with the shorter barrel (22 inch, I think). It involved drilling/tapping a small hole in the barrel-mounting tenon and installing a setscrew to act as an adjustable pressure point on the barrel. It certainly worked well with any individual load if adjusted for that load, but changing loads required changing the tension setting on the screw. The gun shot pretty well before the surgery, certainly more than good enough for use with a .45-70 on .45-70-sized targets. In the end, I wished I had left it alone. :)

Lousy pic, but here's my recent left-hand-shot whitetail taken with a #1. I was shooting wrong-sided due to cataracts in my right eye, and this points up another advantage of the #1 and singleshots in general; completely ambidextrous operation.
1790189895755.png
 
I may have the opportunity to make a "heirloom hunting rifle" purchase in the near future and I've always admired the Ruger No 1 - I think it might fit the bill for a cool rifle to keep long term.

Only question would be cartridge selection and that would be based on the type of hunting the rifle would be best at.

As a single shot I could see it better suited as an open country rifle (and thus a suitable cartridge - 243, etc.). But the No 1s are short/handy and might be a great thick cover thumper in something 30 caliber plus?

I've never handled/hunted with one so happy to hear feedback for those that have.
hunting and sporting firearm form 22 pages on the number one it's all there just read
Enjoy
 
As far as accuracy issues go, i have only had two that could not be made accurate, the first one was a 243( my first) the second was the one I have in 280, which was originally in .270 and was worn right out.
Of the other 20 plus Ruger #1's and 3's i have owned all were improved upon with the various accuracy methods I use .
Cat
 
Last edited:
As far as accuracy issues go, i have only had two that could not be made accurate, tge first one was a 243( my first) the second was the one I have in 280, which was originally in .270 and was worn right out.
Of the other 20 plus Riger #1's and 3's i have owned all wete improved upon with the various accuracy methods I use .
Cat
What method has worked best for you to improve accuracy/consistency? I had your 270 with the custom engraved tiger maple stock and it shot very well. In comparison my 303 Brit No 1 has been a pluperfect PITA to get to group at all!
 
Back
Top Bottom