That 270 was a wicked rifle- one of my favorites for sure!What method has worked best for you to improve accuracy/consistency? I had your 270 with the custom engraved tiger maple stock and it shot very well. In comparison my 303 Brit No 1 has been a pluperfect PITA to get to group at all!
I never had an issue with the so called slow lock time with any of my RugersNo. 1 relatively slow lock time not conducive to great accuracy.
![]()
Oddly perhaps, but I had read the opposite - that Ruger chose to use a 0.314" diameter barrel, whereas most common Sierra and Hornady bullets might be 0.311" or 0.312". I never owned one, but can see that slugging the bore to determine barrel diameter would be a first necessary step. There will be some "obturation" with flat base bullets - not so sure about boat tail bullets - proof one way or other will be in holes on target. If you get a good load for a good rifle, the target groups will show that.That 270 was a wicked rifle- one of my favorites for sure!
Most times a pressure point added with a Hicks Accurizer or a simple grub screw drilled and tapped under the mainspring pivot is all that is needed .
In the case of the factory .303 1A's, quite often slugging the bore and getting the appropriate jacketed bullet or cast bullet makes a huge difference .
The factory .303's seem to have varying bore diameters from what I have read.
Cat
Neither have I. After shooting flintlocks for decades, one learns to follow through so any lock time differences in any CF is completely irrelevant.I never had an issue with the so called slow lock time with any of my Rugers
Cat
I will do that- thanks Cat!That 270 was a wicked rifle- one of my favorites for sure!
Most times a pressure point added with a Hicks Accurizer or a simple grub screw drilled and tapped under the mainspring pivot is all that is needed .
In the case of the factory .303 1A's, quite often slugging the bore and getting the appropriate jacketed bullet or cast bullet makes a huge difference .
The factory .303's seem to have varying bore diameters from what I have read.
Cat
If / when you do decide to install a scope - many of us found the Ruger brand Offset rings are nice to use. I have a set of Leupold offset for a Ruger #1 - but I found them to be "flimsy" - I can push the scope down if I use them - no doubt it only matters when "in battery", but I still did not like that movement - so I went with the proper Ruger offset rings instead.For what its worth:
I was searching for the same thing. Something heirloom quality, but also practical. The no1 seemed to fit the bill.
Early this year Ruger announced their No1RSI for the year in 9.3x62. I began the hunt for one.
Yesterday after a few months of waiting mine finally arrived. This rifle has some of the nicest walnut ive seen on a "factory" rifle. I will report back in a few hours after Ive been to the range with it. For now I will run it with iron sights only. But likely it will get a 1-6 power Accupoint or 1-5 VX5 down the road.
For what its worth:
I was searching for the same thing. Something heirloom quality, but also practical. The no1 seemed to fit the bill.
Early this year Ruger announced their No1RSI for the year in 9.3x62. I began the hunt for one.
Yesterday after a few months of waiting mine finally arrived. This rifle has some of the nicest walnut ive seen on a "factory" rifle. I will report back in a few hours after Ive been to the range with it. For now I will run it with iron sights only. But likely it will get a 1-6 power Accupoint or 1-5 VX5 down the road.
i always rekon a Rimmed cartridge is the #1s forte !I may have the opportunity to make a "heirloom hunting rifle" purchase in the near future and I've always admired the Ruger No 1 - I think it might fit the bill for a cool rifle to keep long term.
Only question would be cartridge selection and that would be based on the type of hunting the rifle would be best at.
As a single shot I could see it better suited as an open country rifle (and thus a suitable cartridge - 243, etc.). But the No 1s are short/handy and might be a great thick cover thumper in something 30 caliber plus?
I've never handled/hunted with one so happy to hear feedback for those that have.
Forget the Groups---What method has worked best for you to improve accuracy/consistency? I had your 270 with the custom engraved tiger maple stock and it shot very well. In comparison my 303 Brit No 1 has been a pluperfect PITA to get to group at all!
Oh, I. have forgotten about grouping. I’ d be happy with a cold bore shot that hits within 3” of where I’m aiming. It has no consistency.Forget the Groups---
Get a 180gr Speer RN SP, seat it long. fill with 40gr Varget and stack the Freezer our to 200-250meters
About 25 years ago, Bevan King, a local gunsmith was building himself a custom No 1 in .404 Jeffery. Well, somebody came along and wanted that gun but not in that calibre so Bevan rebarreled it and I asked about the barrel, he still had it so I asked “how much?”, he said, for you?, $100. I said “is that blued?” He said “sure I’ll blue it”, I said “is that installed?”, he gave me a look and said “sure”, I then asked, is that with the quarter rib installed?”, he looked at me and said “it’s only $100!!!,…..ok I’ll install the quarter rib” problem was, I didn’t have a No1 to rebarrel. Didn’t want to change my .338 or my 22-250 so I went on the hunt for an action. Unfortunately, Bevan passed away before I got my $hit together so I missed out.Custom your's own . I always do . Barrel are 600$ , chamber reamer are depend on the caliber 150 to 300$ , and job to thread to action are around 200$ . You can make any caliber . For hunting my choice are in the big .50 , but i also like the 405 win and 9.3x74r



























