Savage blows up , hope its not a re-post

Levi Garrett

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 99.3%
139   1   0
http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Alert.html
Savge_Blow_Up_3_001.jpg
 
i think it is, just about a week ago it was posted, some of the guys on here know the shooter as well if its the same gun and guy as last week.
 
Yikes!

Ill stick to my Traditional flintlocks and percussion muzzleloaders thanks.

I never did see a reason for these god forsaken things.

I hope the shooter is ok!
 
Does anyone know what powder and charge were used. I read they have strong actions but some guys throw too much smokless powder down the barrel. The accidents are from non recommended powder. Any more details.
 
Yes, there are "many" examples of them blowing up, but strangely only two pictures with 10 or so variations on what happened......

Exactly.... Why not have a "I screwed up and blew up my muzzleloader" thread with pics. I'm sure we'll find lots more pics of exploded barrels and They're probably not all savage ;) . Why does everyone seem to have such a hate on for these guns? Even the well known gunsmiths I talk to say they're very good guns. Although one of them tells me he saw a barrel bulged on a savage after the owner attempted to double his powder load for "magnum" performance....
 
Toby Bridges has a heart on for both Savage, and Henry Ball. He is openly soliciting contributions for failed SAVAGE inlines.

He is Savage's Randy Wakeman LOL
 
I bet there's a dozen guys on this site who could claim to have a friend who knows the shooter. :rolleyes:

We need to identify the make of rifle ASAP so that it can be added to the "dangerous list". No facts required - I saw it with my own eyes. If it saves just one person........
 
I keep seeing images where the widest split in the barrel is right around where you would expect the projectile to be seated. This doesn't seem right if Toby's theory says the split starts back at the breach plug. I think its more consistent with overpressure in the area just behind the projectile. But the cause? Overcharge? Doubled loads (a previous charge of powder and projectile are followed by another charge of powder and projectile?) Metal fatigue? Hope we can hear an expert opinion on this. Someone should be able to analyse the barrel and come to some conclusion as to where the split started.
 
I though that I might drop an email to the Toby Bridges about this famous photo. Forgive the a$$ki$$:bsFlag: at the beginning - but honey draws more flies than vinegar.....:D


My Letter to Toby said:
Hi Toby,

I follow your site religiously. Easily on of the best ML resources on the internet. I am a Knight shooter myself, always will be.

My question to you is about the catastrophic failures of Savage ML's that are featured on your site. I remember when you first featured your own failed Savage ML. Those pic's you posted were epic, and we're downloaded and re posted on every hunting forum. Whether that was your intent or not..it happened. Anyways, you have featured another failed Savage ML from a anonymous Canadian contributor. The photo's of this failure are nothing but recycled pic's from your original incident!


Surely you would recognize your own work and dismiss these photo's as plagarism at best. Where these photo's re published to place emphasis a design flaw?

.


His Respnse said:
Yes they were. The Canadian shooter did not want his photos published - as he has field a lawsuit against Savage.

And since the piece was published (with my photos to illustate the problem)...yet another Canadian shooter has been seriously
injurred by a blown Savage 10ML II.

Those can be seen at http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Alert2.html

Like me, this shooter is more interested in keeping this issue spotlighted and sending a warning to Savage 10ML II shooters rather than
filing a lawsuit against Savage.

We feel it is imperative that Savage recall these rifles and make them safe.

Toby.

2x Canadian shooters hurt!

Make mine a Knight!
 
On the previous thread on this subject and this Manitoba blowup, we were advised that the shooter loaded a second base beneath the sabot.

I think there is something fishy about all this. Why has it taken this long for this problem to show up? Are there not shooters with far more rounds down the barrel than this guy? tens of thousands of 10MLII's in the states? Why wouldn't a heavy barrel hold up to a light charge of 43 grains of SR4759?
 
It's probably another guy, but one of the gunsmiths I deal with on a regular basis told me one of his customers who has consistantly damaged guns from overpressure loading split a barrel on an ML-II. The Savage warranty guy refused to warranty his gun (knows him and his reputation for damaging perfectly good bolt guns with too hot loads) and he was pretty pi$$ed about it. Wonder if that's the guy Toby is talking about???
 
Back
Top Bottom