Saving for an 1860 Colt Shooter

Dave.S

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
286   0   1
Hi Im saving up to buy a good solid 1860 Colt Army shooter,A real one.How much are people asking for them these days?Dave
 
A few years ago I paid $1250 for the 1860 at the bottom of this picture, there is no original bluing left and a bit of pitting. The bore is shootable and it locks up solid but the nipples are too big to take #11 caps so I use the cylinder from the reproduction 1860 at the top of the picture. Maker of the gun at the top is unknown but the cylinder fits the old timer (1863) and because it has modern nipples the #11's fit.

 
There is a group in the U.S that keeps archive info on civil war weaponry and will provide detail on where many pieces were issued and when-much like the Cody museum. Cannot remember the name but I still have one of their letters somewhere which I will try to find. Main point is -they had original 1860Army 44's in NRA Good condition for sale for 1495-US complete with letter. Now this was about 3 years ago but prices on these have not moved much IMHO. Perhaps someone else can come up with a name. Cheers
 
If so, I would say they hover around the 2k mark from what I have seen.

I would agree, but I am always in the U.S. looking at them.

Decent ones start at around 2K U.S. Dollars now.

You may come across one cheaper.

I always tell someone asking as you have and my answer is; think about what you can afford, then add a few more dollars.

Now that you are laying down that price,,, a shooter, I would think again.

Occasional shooter, yes, but if it was me, buy a Uberti to shoot and keep the original as your pride and joy.

I have a lot of U.S. Civil War goodies that I shoot occasional and leave the every day banging to my Uberti's.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom