Why use crisco?
Dirty on the hands and the smoke cannot be healthy.
Whereas 4 out of 5 dentists in bolivia can be bribed to agree that smoke from black powder is good for you.
Perhaps cause it is a cool nock off to the old days when fat from a bear or hog was used?
In my revolver I use
goex FFF, then
corn meal, then
ox yoke wonder wad (lubed)
then a hornady ball
The lubed wad is some type of dry lube, not wet in the hand.
The corn meal is measured so the ball fits to the front of the cylinders flush.
I measure with the lee spoon kit, fraction of the price of a good traditional measure.
I did not invent this. Found it on the web.
I can shoot 100+ rounds, without cleaning, with my ruger old army, and no loss of accuracy.
With this system the ROA is as accurate as my Freedom Arms, 454.
However the FA has better sights, therefore an uffair advantage.
And the ROA can be purchaced at less that 1/3 the price.
Crisco is commonly used.
Not meaning to nock anybody else or their system.
Crisco or corn meal will prevent chain fires from the front.
But it has been said chainfires usually start from the nipple end.
I bought replacement nipples for the ROA.
They have much smaller holes.
Still 100% ignition.