Shooting the blunderbuss today

Brutus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
118   0   1
Well this was more fun than a barrel full of monkeys!
My first muzzleloader........this Loyalist Arms 10 gauge 1700s reproduction blunderbuss with brass barrel.
It was very exilerating letting loose this beast, and launching 1 1/4 ounces of shot downrange.
Quite evident with the unmistakeable BP boom, the big cloud of smoke, & the nitro wads ejected forward onto the snow!!
I now wonder why I waited so long for this treat??? ;)
 
Where did you pick it up?
Actually here on our EE and I bought it from the original purchaser. It is made by a Nova Scotia company called Loyalist Arms. They don't make them on a regular basis per se, but often during the calendar year they will do a limited run and offer them for sale. They have a good website fellas, and they announce these specials there. I understand they also sell Pedrisoli products as well.

Cheers!
 
Actually here on our EE and I bought it from the original purchaser. It is made by a Nova Scotia company called Loyalist Arms. They don't make them on a regular basis per se, but often during the calendar year they will do a limited run and offer them for sale. They have a good website fellas, and they announce these specials there. I understand they also sell Pedrisoli products as well.

Cheers!

Thank's!
 
but often during the calendar year they will do a limited run and offer them for sale


are you sure of this or do they import them from india along with thier other DOM barrel offerings? No dis to loyalist or thier guns both are great (as far as I know)but just wanted to see what the real deal is.

Maybe they buy Rayl barrels and stock em? What kind of wood is the stock? Lock manufacturer?
 
are you sure of this or do they import them from india along with thier other DOM barrel offerings? No dis to loyalist or thier guns both are great (as far as I know)but just wanted to see what the real deal is.

Maybe they buy Rayl barrels and stock em? What kind of wood is the stock? Lock manufacturer?
This would have to be questions only they could answer friend. Because I don't really have anything to say this or that is true or not.
But I'm sure if you email them, Linda on the other end would be happy to answer your particular questions David.
The only thing I can say for sure is they told me this blunderbuss has a steel breechplug. With good light and an peek down the clean unloaded barrel this appears to be the truth. My one & only peeve about Loyalist Arms is thier lack of rifled muskets. That's it. I think they could easily create for themselves, a niche market for a Canadian manufactured Kentucky/Tennessee/Pennsylvania long barrelled flintlock rifle of the French-Indian War era.

Cheers.........
 
Blunder1-1.jpg

My guess is walnut, but I could be wrong! (I'm wrong, it is teak wood guys)
I sincerely hope the original owner does not mind me using these cropped photos.
Only the gun is mine.
 
Last edited:
H011.jpg

H010.jpg

This is a view of the target after the second load of buckshot.
Today I used 16 "0" pellets over Goex.
The best results were from 10 yards with 11 strikes of the 16, from the second shotload.
The first shotload only made 4 strikes.
One more identical shotload was (the third shot) discharged from 25 yards, & aiming high enough to cover the target, only 3 or 4 extra hits.
Recoil was stiff but very manageable.
Birdshot loads were very poor today, need more work here indeed!
 
Last edited:
It is made by a Nova Scotia company called Loyalist Arms

no it is not, it is definetley made in India. LA imports them. A few outfits in the states do as well and they show up on the US auctions for a few hundred. You might want to pull the breech plug and see what is going on there to make sure it is seated and not collecting fouling. That teak stock can be greatly improved with some elbow grease.


here is a pic from another importers site

thumb_BrassAndSteelLeft.JPG


As an alternative For LA'a asking price you can get a RAYL barrel in 10, 8 or 4 gauge, An American Walnut stock and a Siler lock, butt plate and guard, then you just need to find an Indian gunsmith to put it together LOL.
 
no it is not, it is definetley made in India. LA imports them. A few outfits in the states do as well and they show up on the US auctions for a few hundred. You might want to pull the breech plug and see what is going on there to make sure it is seated and not collecting fouling. That teak stock can be greatly improved with some elbow grease.

Okay, I was wrong.
 
Brutus, it is a nice gun and one to be proud of I just wanted to make sure you knew what you had so you could enjoy it safely. Or so that the person you eventually sell it to can enjoy it safely LOL
 
Brutus, it is nice gun and one to be proud of I just wanted to make sure you knew what you had so you could enjoy it safely.

I appreciate the facts David.
Thank you for bringing them to light!
My first flinter, I just can't see myself selling this one anyways.
I did amend my powder info though, just a precaution guys, sorry.

Cheers.............
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom