sources for used flintlock fowlers? since quality new ones are way too expensive.

Mooncoon, don't get me wrong there are certainly some dogs coming out of any country and I would tread carefully in picking up any non proofed firearm. That being said dollar for dollar your Loyalist arms and Middlesex guns are not the abomination many would have you believe. The complaints levied against them are often the common complaints one can have with any ML. I got a few "american made" locks here that BEG for someone with more skill then I to give them attention. Can hardly imagine the Indians could do worse. Stock/metal fit? I got a collection of pics sent by a host of builders from all over some are gorgeous and some are slightly worse then I can do (that is not good). Breech plugs? Well until you see the pieces apart pretty hard to trust anyone.

No matter where it comes from anytime you buy a ML you are getting a big collection of potential problems. Unless you can pull the breech plug, fire it and spend a few hours pouring over it in the sunshine while sober you really are taking a chance.

The real reason not to buy the Indian guns is that there are simply too many better guns for sale on the used market for less or equal money!
 
My biggest concern with the Indian guns is with the quality of their breaching. The one that I had apart, the plug did not but up against a shoulder and there was at least one and I think as much as two threads exposed to the inside of the bore ahead of the plug

cheers mooncoon
 
yep I agree any gun needs to be inspected before laying out the $. Lots of ugly things can be happening in there.

How would you fix the above short plug problem? Solder on a "shim" to the front of the plug and cut threads into it? Or would you want to ream out the hole enough to create a shoulder and start with a new plug?
 
hello again people, just updating. anyone know of a custom fowler manufacturer in Canada? this would simplify getting one a lot. anyone? looking for new answers to my previous questions too,
 
This is the only maker I have heard of in canada, again they are expensive. this is a rifle but perhaps he can built other stuff.

http://clarkindustries.on.ca/?page_id=54

There are many more options in the states and no issues with shipping across the border as these arent considered firearms by our government or theirs. The prices are what they are as everyone has explained. You want quality you will have to bite the bullet and pay 1000 and up for the gun you are looking for. Unless you bide your time and get one used or find a builder willing to work for free.

McLean
 
There is a used reproduction Pefersoli Indian Trade Gun for sale at w ww.accuracyplus.biz, in the used gun section. Item #OO528. I have handled this gun and it is in nice condition. A site sponsor lists these @ $1129; this one is $699.
 
Back
Top Bottom