South African surplus...

Xman

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Location
Regina, SK.
So, where's all the SA ammo? I keep seeing a few boxes here and there on EE but they are ridiculously priced; on par with factory soft point.

Anyway, my question is, does any vendor still have any, by the battle pack, or is it all dried up?
 
I think there is still some around but in more low key stores, without internet websites. The problem is that most people have gone crazy greedy and want a buck a round, and for that price you can get it at Canadian Tire and Walmart and it's hunting ammo to boot...

I can get federal soft point, 150 gr. blue box at Canadian Tire for $20.99. That's what I hunt with in my M14 and it's fairly decent ammo. You can actually save the cases and resell them afterward, bringing your cost per round to .75 or something like that.

The doe in the picture fell to one of those Federal rounds; one shot, she dropped on the spot, from 183 yards so, I can say with confidence that the ammo works well.

photof.jpg
 
I could be wrong, but I think SA no longer sells their surplus. The UN convinced them to burn it instead.

If I recall correctly, PMP was tasked not only to manufacture the ammo for the SA MOD, but to warehouse much of it. When the enlightened new leadership decided that surplus ammo could only be given to other "freedom fighters", or demilled, somebody got the bright idea to do an end run around the regs.

Anyone recall how a few years back, The Blue Press and virtually every other guns and ammo retailer were advertizing cheapish PMP manufactured pistol ammo? Sounds like the last two skids in the conex container held factory fresh pistol ammo, while the rest was surplus.
 
The NRCAN fee enforcement changes since Jan 1 will all but stop surplus from entering Canada. I am working to get a resolution, but it may take time.
 
I have heard the current fee is 'hefty'. What is the newe fee going to be!?

The NRCAN fee enforcement changes since Jan 1 will all but stop surplus from entering Canada. I am working to get a resolution, but it may take time.
 
I have heard the current fee is 'hefty'. What is the newe fee going to be!?
No, the new fee is only $125. The problem is only the manufacturer or his agent can pay it, not the importer. Why would a manufacturer pay for ammo not bought from him, or what about manufacturers no longer in business? They knocked off a dozen or so manufacturers as of Jan 1. Russians, Chinese, etc.
 
This is really getting ridiculous. I feel NRCAN is abusing the shooting sports by useless regulation that is none of their business in my opinion. It is not their business to decide that 7.62x39 tracer has no sporting purpose, it not for them to make money off the importation of milsurp ammo for public sale and it's none of their business that I want to shoot my Milsurps; and for that I need milsurp ammo.

And yes I do reload some and sometimes I use parted milsurp components to do that.
 
Anyone want to go do some amateur diving? :)

I was just thinking the same thing!

It's ridiculous that $1M worth of inventory already on its way, and documented as such, can just arbitrarily be ruled a "no go".

Bureaucratic garbage at its worst... ridiculous.

What do you think will happen with that lot, CanAm? Can you keep it in a bonded warehouse until such time as you can hopefully resolve the issue? Or is that cost prohibitive?

-M
 
It's not that they have prohibited the ammunition, it just hasn't been put on the List of Authorized Explosives. No one here aside from CanAm and myself likely knows how the system works, so I'll explain it briefly.

All explosives, be it roman candles, dynamite, ammunition, air bag inflators, or sparklers, are prohibited from entering the country until they have been submitted to the Canadian Explosives Research Laboratory (CERL) for testing and approval. This is to ensure the explosives that are sold and used in the country are the safest in the world, and Canada's track record with explosives safety is excellent as a result.

The problem is this policy is applied equally to all types of explosives, including ammunition. Sometimes unfairly, the policies do not facilitate the easy approval of articles as a result. And yes, only the manufacturer or authorized agent thereof is able to submit an article for approval which likely puts CanAm in an awkward position, especially if the manufacturer is no longer in business or is a state-owned entity. Getting authorization from them to act as an agent may be very difficult indeed.

Now here's the thing. I've been dealing with the ERD for a long time and I've found the newer folks are not only willing to discuss change, they will work eagerly to implement it. I have another meeting with them on Friday and I will bring this issue to their attention, and see what (if any) progessive thoughts I might inspire. The folks I'm meeting aren't quite the ones that need to make the changes but it will be a good start to get some ideas. Wish me luck.
 
Back
Top Bottom