Being a bit of a recidivist, I went to a gun show about 2 weeks ago and a Starr carbine seems to have followed me home. The metal work looks virtually unfired and the bore is pristine. There is a bad break in the stock but I intend to separate that and reglue it properly. The caliber is 56-52 Spencer
The action is an extremely unusual one and could best be described as a falling block rolling block.
the breach assembly is in two pieces. The front one rolls out of the way and the rear one is a falling block to keep the front part closed. Also what is extremely handy is that the extractor comes out and when the gun is 3/4 open, it snaps back again. The value is that it is awfully easy to get a rim ahead of the extractor and the shell stuck in the chamber. The Starr arrangement prevents that because the extractor is back nestled against the barrel when you load the gun.
I started by making a couple of solid brass shells but in a brief moment of lucidity, realized that the shell is the same base diameter as a 50-70 shell (and a .348 Winchester as well). I milled out the primer pocket to 1/4" and soft soldered a brass plug in place then drilled and milled a recess for a Hilti shell as a primer (rimfire cartridge). The bullet appears to be pretty short because the gun has a very slow rifling twist. I loaded the shells with 27 grains of 3F and took it to the range today. Seems to be fairly accurate at 25 yards but shoots about 1 foot high at that range. Next thing is to load some more shells and try it at 100 yards with a good tall target to make sure I am on the paper.
cheers mooncoon
The action is an extremely unusual one and could best be described as a falling block rolling block.
the breach assembly is in two pieces. The front one rolls out of the way and the rear one is a falling block to keep the front part closed. Also what is extremely handy is that the extractor comes out and when the gun is 3/4 open, it snaps back again. The value is that it is awfully easy to get a rim ahead of the extractor and the shell stuck in the chamber. The Starr arrangement prevents that because the extractor is back nestled against the barrel when you load the gun.
I started by making a couple of solid brass shells but in a brief moment of lucidity, realized that the shell is the same base diameter as a 50-70 shell (and a .348 Winchester as well). I milled out the primer pocket to 1/4" and soft soldered a brass plug in place then drilled and milled a recess for a Hilti shell as a primer (rimfire cartridge). The bullet appears to be pretty short because the gun has a very slow rifling twist. I loaded the shells with 27 grains of 3F and took it to the range today. Seems to be fairly accurate at 25 yards but shoots about 1 foot high at that range. Next thing is to load some more shells and try it at 100 yards with a good tall target to make sure I am on the paper.
cheers mooncoon


















































