Storing and preserving antiques

This. For literally everything. Steel? Check. Nickle? Check. Wood? Check. Leather? Yep. Brass, Stainless, bluing? Check,check,check...they'll use this stuff for everything even preserving paper documents believe it or not.
Apparently finding some may be an issue. Lee Valley is where I got mine from and a little dab will do. A little goes a long way.

DSCF2922.jpg

images

16700+before.jpg

I agree this stuff is good, I use it all the time to.
 
WD-40 is infamous for drying out into a sticky mess and is not particularly effective as a long-term corrosion inhibitor.

I have never experienced WD40 dying out into a stick mess. However I usually re apply it every 12-18 months and never in excess.
What ever works I guess....
 
Do not leave an antique pistol in it's leather holster even if it is the original. Seems any humidity will be absorbed and ultimately affect the pistol even if it was oiled.

the salt in the leather will rust the metal. I use Fluid Film for my guns and have used it for many years. It probably would not hurt to wipe the metal down with a cloth with Fluid Film in it, once or twice a year. The fluid film does not seem to evaporate or does so very slowly and it also does not seem to migrate down the bore of guns stored vertically

cheers mooncoon
 
Thank you for taking the time to preserve them for future generations to enjoy...we really only rent these things, can't take 'em with you. (Some here will try though!Lol!)

I think when Mooncoon 'goes' he'll have arranged to have all his long guns under him in the pine box! Laugh2
 
All of my antiques will become family heirlooms for my kids to enjoy one day. It's why it's so important to keep them as nice looking and in the best condition possible.
 
I use a small paint brush and spread G96 on all metal parts, and hang on a metal wire in my gun locker. I never store any pistol in a leather holster as the salts from the sweat of the servicemen over the years is embedded in the leather and will rust the metal over time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25437334@N02/28489744134/in/album-72157638837424814/

If there was oil already from a past user would you remove it before applying the g96? What would you use to do that?
 
I've been wondering about this myself. What about the bore of the gun? What should we be using to keep it from rusting but not adding any sticky buildup that might hinder it's performance when shooting it. Is Fluid Film the stuff to use in the bore? I'm also thinking we should be using synthetic bore brushes instead of brass brushes?
 
I have a webley with a like new shiny bore. I use hoppes bore cleaner and a bronze brush after shooting with no ill effects. THough some other antiques might be different
 
I just checked one of the links provided by Wendell: http://www.trusting1.com/Museum_Restoration_of_Antique_Firearms_-_Summer_06_David_Arnold.pdf
and it says:

"2. Cleaning Barrels and Other Metal Parts Please note: It is essential to practice any new technique on a sacrificial piece first, before applying it to something irreplaceable. • Use nylon or animal-bristle bore brushesiv. Wherever possible, avoid using brass or steel brushes. Such hard materials can scratch, but also might (under certain conditions) cause galvanic (bi-metallic) corrosion (specifically when using a copper-alloy brush on ferrous metals) by leaving a slight metallic smear behind."

So you might want to reconsider.
 
Back
Top Bottom