strongest/ most durable long gun?

Double Rifle in .500 Black Powder Express like this one which sadly I do not own.
32zt1rt.jpg
 
Last edited:
The large side hammer of the Sharps action was once thought to be detrimental to best accuracy potential. That created a short term interest in central hammer designs like the '85 and Rolling Blocks. Now the pendulum has swung back to the side hammer Sharps even for 1000 yards.
However, Both Shiloh and Pedersoli/Lyman are offering a '77 Creedmoor with the slimmer action and smaller hammer. The waiting list is already years in waiting for a Shiloh despite the hefty price tag.

I've got '74's with both the small spring loaded firing pins and the old one piece "H" type. After I had a few misfires with the new block in one rifle, I re-installed the old block and never looked back.

A rifle no one has spoken for is the Springfield Trapdoor. I own two examples, both H&R products - a Cavalry model and an Officer model. They are the fastest loading of the single shots as they eject the cartridge upon opening.

The matter of cleaning from the breech of a BPCR is a non-issue for a hunter with a Bore Snake.
 
The large side hammer of the Sharps action was once thought to be detrimental to best accuracy potential. That created a short term interest in central hammer designs like the '85 and Rolling Blocks. Now the pendulum has swung back to the side hammer Sharps even for 1000 yards.
However, Both Shiloh and Pedersoli/Lyman are offering a '77 Creedmoor with the slimmer action and smaller hammer. The waiting list is already years in waiting for a Shiloh despite the hefty price tag.

I've got '74's with both the small spring loaded firing pins and the old one piece "H" type. After I had a few misfires with the new block in one rifle, I re-installed the old block and never looked back.

A rifle no one has spoken for is the Springfield Trapdoor. I own two examples, both H&R products - a Cavalry model and an Officer model. They are the fastest loading of the single shots as they eject the cartridge upon opening.

The matter of cleaning from the breech of a BPCR is a non-issue for a hunter with a Bore Snake.

the martini can be loaded pretty quick fling the lever down quick enough to eject the spent casing and slide the next round in
 
You pays you money - you takes you choice!

The thing about rifles of the era is that they were made of wood and steel, not polymer and plastics with a few steel parts where necessary.

Earlier I was going to suggest the '63 "Paper Sharps" rifles as they require no loading tools, no brass cases. Simply roll an 'as cast' lubed bullet in a paper tube filled with powder and twist the end. The "cigar cutter" of the breech block shears off the end of the cartridge, exposing the powder to the cap flame.

I prefer plugging the end of the tube with a square of paper towel, charging it with powder and inserting the lubed bullet. The lube serves to hold the bullet in the tube. You can waterproof the paper or just the base with a coating of clear nail polish.
I own two such Shiloh rifles in .50 caliber and they are a delight. The negative is the fact that the breech block MUST be disassembled and cleaned after each firing session. Failure to do so results in a seized gas plate.

Other than that, all you need is a supply of paper and caps. I've used everything from onion skin, newsprint, printer paper, nitrated paper, etc. They all work.
 
Last edited:
I'd take the Win 1886 45-90 hands down vs ANY single shot no matter HOW accurate they are.

WHY? Because I don't have a DEATH WISH!!! Nine rounds of 45-90 300 grs (express loading - lighter bullet - faster velocity - flatter long range trajectory beats a single shot 45-70 405gr ANY day!!

Since JMB first gained his fame with his Single shot rifles he recognized their limitations and adapted the tubular magazines of his pump shotguns to a heavy framed lever action rifle in heavy calibers. The plainsmen quickly saw the advantages of the big strong lever action 1886.
 

10x10 gauge and 45-70.

Take anything with fur or feathers in North America, and with three shots before reloading.
Meets all your criteria quite well IMO.
It is a beast to carry, but the over the shoulder African carry, (Professional hunters with their nice double rifles) tends to be the least tiresome for all day hunting.

I had it imported from Texas and a very thorough going over by the very expert Mr. Mackinson in Ontario.
 
^Another thing I forgot to mention and African PH John Taylor mentioned this fact in one of his books.
These early hammer guns can be virtually silently cocked, with a little bit of care and finger dexterity.

And without an ejector, reloading fired chambers, can be equally noiseless as well.
 
A rifle no one has spoken for is the Springfield Trapdoor. I own two examples, both H&R products - a Cavalry model and an Officer model. They are the fastest loading of the single shots as they eject the cartridge upon opening.

The matter of cleaning from the breech of a BPCR is a non-issue for a hunter with a Bore Snake.

I have a trapdoor Springfield in 38-55 which I shoot every year in our local turkey shoot (the rifle portion). Even though I like the gun, it would not be my first choice as a long duration dependable gun. The action is not particularly strong and you cannot push a cleaning rod through the barrel from the breach. A string and a patch is fine for pulling through the barrel but would not be very effective for a pass after each shot when shooting black powder. The good point of the gun is that the lock mechanism is all enclosed with wood much like the Sharps. I will still stick with the rolling block for long term durability and for simplicity

cheers mooncoon
 
If your going simply for strength, the 1874 Gras should be the winner. Likely the most over built black powder rifle to have existed.

I agree these are a very good choice, if you can find one. The french successfully converted a lot of them to shoot the smokeless 8x50Rmm Lebel round during WW1, that round pushes a 198gr. 8mm bullet at 2400 fps and produces about 52,000 psi.

If a black powder action can handle that 8mm round it can easily handle mid level 45-70 pressures.

The bolt and action is massive and would take a lot to blow. When the French originally black powder proofed them in 11mm they had the hardest proof test in Europe at that time: half the barrel was filled with black powder, the rest of the barrel was filled with number 9 shot and the rifle was fired. Not surprisingly this was the most violent proof test at the time and it had to pass that test 3 times.

I have a 11mm (.44) original one that is in excellent like new condition and have loaded it with converted .348 Win cases, .444 Marlin lead projectiles and smokeless powder to 45-70 levels without issue.

It was for sale once, but now that I have tried it out it has moved up to my keeper for good rifles.

Here is mine -

11x59mmR%20Model%201874%20Gras%20001_zpsmmz4gzbd.jpg
11x59mmR%20Model%201874%20Gras%20006_zpsokadmnw1.jpg
11x59mmR%20Model%201874%20Gras%20002_zpsfggvdgpe.jpg
 
the martini can be loaded pretty quick fling the lever down quick enough to eject the spent casing and slide the next round in

I agree, the Martini would be faster than the Springfield Trapdoor. I love both rifles but the martini has no external hammer to ####. The one motion of dropping the lever expels the empty casing and cocks the action. Perhaps I am just biased as I just finished watched Zulu Dawn and Zulu
 
I had a beautiful Rolling Block in 45/70 and regret ever selling it. I also had a New York State Militia Roller in 50/70. We couldn't find a tree big enough to stop a slug from it. Currently I have an H&R Trapdoor officers carbine. Not my first choice but it is beautiful. Also have a few Martini's. I find them butt ugly and clumsy. If I was you I'd get a Roller or a Sharps. I haven't seen anyone mention a Snider yet.
 
Back
Top Bottom