Surplus Red Rifle Ammo

ricradster

Regular
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Location
WMU 64A
Mods: move as required...(ammo forum?)
I purchased a crate of x39 from Lebaron and have found some rather rusy cases sealed in the plasic. I would ask those with more experience with Warsaw Pact ammo, is this normal? Should I go back and throw a screaming fit at the ammo counter? Or is posting here enough of a warning to others new to the commie surplus ammo market like me, to check your round before popping them into the magazine?
I don't know how big an issue rusty rounds could cause, but I could see a case being stuck in the chamber after firing, and the extractor tearing the head off the case. I would also like to ask the wisdom of attempting to steel wool the rust off the rusty cases and using them?
Thoughts, opinions, and advice appreciated.
Ric:confused:
 
Last edited:
I got the same packages as you from Lebaron. They hold 10 rounds on a stripper clip and are in a plastic case with some cardboard around it, correct?

When you say rusty, do you mean the cases are brown like this:


Shiny .223 next to a surplus 7.62x39 from Lebarons.

DSC_5334.jpg



If they are like this, then that is perfectly normal for all surplus ammo. You will find the same stuff in crates.

Also, Lebarons would not refund your money even if it was bad ammo, as all ammo sales are final with them. Your responsibility to check the rounds.

Do not use if rusty. Major problems can result. Post some photos.

Kevin.
 
Pics would help "If they are rusty DO NOT USE THEM!!!!!!!!" You can have a hard extraction or blowen casing :(
 
Just salvage what you can.

Any that are rusted should have the rust cleaned off before attempting to fire them to keep them from sticking.
 
ricradster
ricradster
Sorry guys, I should have put up these pics. As you can see, especially the two on the right are ROTTEN!
ricradster
[/IMG]
I guess I'll pull them and do an autopsy. Get actual bullet and powder weight.
 
Mar10001.jpg

Thanks Kevin. You can see some rust in the extractor groove of the left most round, and the obvious cancer on the two on the right.
 
Last edited:
^^^^^ok the cartridge on the far right I wouldn't fire, looks like its cracked right through!

The others I might wipe and fire off
 
No problem. On your main photobucket page, just scroll over the image you want to post, and a list of links will show up. Copy the one that says "IMG" and paste it right into your text box on gunnutz.
 
Yes indeedy, rusted cases!

If it's just surface rust, you're probably fine - I know some might slam me for it, but they're steel cased and if the rust is only a thou or so deep, you're fine.

However, they may get a bit 'sticky' when chambering, and for the $0.15-$0.22 they cost, you might as well throw them in the "dud"/"unwanted live" bin at your range.

Was the case sealed when you bought it? If not, you could probably have a case raising hell - if it was sealed, however, I think you're SOL.

-M
 
Yup, they look to be in pretty cruddy shape. The two on the far right are as good as garbage. The others you can try wiping off or using some steel wool, but I would still be wary of using them.
 
The case I have from LeBarons was not sealed, but each individual pack of 10 is wrapped in a plastic baggie of some sort, I have not go through each and every pack, maybe I should...

This is how my box looked just after opening...

P1030800.jpg
 
Ya, mine too. I only found the rusties when I started opening the plastic to make 5 round stripper clips. (Damn Government why can't we have 10 round mags?) and there they were, all wrapped up nice and tight, and rusty. I've only opened about 200 of the 1200 rounds so far, I wonder what other surprises are in there. Oh well, it was cheap.
So guys, be careful what you stuff in your SKS, it might be rusty Ruskie ammo!
 
The case I have from LeBarons was not sealed, but each individual pack of 10 is wrapped in a plastic baggie of some sort, I have not go through each and every pack, maybe I should...

This is how my box looked just after opening...

P1030800.jpg

looks like it was repackaged at some point, why would CZ surplus ammo have English warning label in each pack? :eek:

Virgin surplus ammo are sealed 10 round pack and the packs are sealed in blocks of 300, than pack in blocks of 4 per crate.
 
Back
Top Bottom