Surplus Red Rifle Ammo

So, (noobie mode on..) you can buy the whole crate sealed inside a tin?

No. Normally, at least the older stuff, comes in cardboard boxes inside a tin, inside the wood crate.

It's only the '93 that you see plastic bags with. I've never had a case of '93 so I don't know if it usually is sealed in a tin, too.
 
yea the case we just got from lever was sealed in tin, they come on stripper clips, 10 rounds per clip, 2 clips per cardboard box. All came out perfect except we found one package which had some sticky stuff on them but wiped off and fired fine.
 
yea the case we just got from lever was sealed in tin, they come on stripper clips, 10 rounds per clip, 2 clips per cardboard box. All came out perfect except we found one package which had some sticky stuff on them but wiped off and fired fine.

What year was your case?
 
The plastic bags hold one strip with ten rounds on it, and each bag is sealed. Each baggie has the paper label stuck around it taco style. The baggies are stacked inside the crate, with no tin, just a kind of paper liner around the inside of the crate.
 
So, (noobie mode on..) you can buy the whole crate sealed inside a tin?

Essentially, yes. However, stevo has it right - there are a whole whack of cardboard boxes, containing 20 rounds (2x10 on strippers), sealed inside a galvanized metal enclosure with 4 pull tabs on it.

So, wood ammo crate - airtight tin - boxes.

-M
 
Ya, that sounds like a much better way to buy ammo. Will call Chemist tomorrow and see if they still have any sealed up x39. Mucho Gracias to CGN's red rifle brain trust for the quick answers.
 
So is everyone who is getting these plastic sealed surplus having these problems?

I'm damn glad mine was sealed the tin still...they are mint...
 
I have had 2 cases from Lever arms and they are all good.

The cases I have are 1200rnds per case and they are sealed in cardboard and a black tar of some sort sealing the cardboard. Each 10rnd stripper is individually wrapped in a plastic bag and cardboard.

A friend who bought the 1120 rnds from Lever Arms has the "TIN" box, soldered together with the pull straps. All his are fine as well.

Lever Arms does sell a 1520 rnd case as well. I have herd they are not on strippers, but do not know how they are sealed inside the case.

Here are the 1200 rnd cases

Accessories%20002.jpg


Accessories%20006.jpg
 
So is everyone who is getting these plastic sealed surplus having these problems?

I'm damn glad mine was sealed the tin still...they are mint...


Nope the plastic sealed stuff are just fine, in fact they are lot newer than the tin sealed ones.

however if you get a crate that are loosely packed in 10 round packs and has English warning labels inside them, I am willing to bet you that they have been reprocessed at some point perhaps they were salvaged from damaged crates and repackage them with North American labels, so they sell them as loose packs.
 
I bought the SKS/ammo combo from Lever and got a sealed tin in a crate, appears to be 1962 vintage ammo. 2X10 round stripper clips in green cardboard boxes. All that I've looked at are good.
 
I got a three 1983 crates (of 1200) and the one I opened looks perfect.
:)

The plastic is thick. As mentioned they are in 4 bags of 300; in each back they are individually wrapped in stipper clips... a major pain in the ass to free them all up, but, seeing the rusty rounds on the previous page now makes me thankful :)
 
I have some crates of '93.

Inside I have 4 main sealed plastic bags.

Inside each of those is 30 sealed bags each containing a 10 round stripper clip wrapped in cardboard.

There was a pic earlier that showed the 10 round bags all loose. Mine was not like this at all, it was tightly packed and completely sealed.

(and no rust!)
 
I have some crates of '93.

Inside I have 4 main sealed plastic bags.

Inside each of those is 30 sealed bags each containing a 10 round stripper clip wrapped in cardboard.

There was a pic earlier that showed the 10 round bags all loose. Mine was not like this at all, it was tightly packed and completely sealed.

(and no rust!)

Yes, this is how the 1200 round packs come - as in the pic a few posts above yours.

-M
 
LeBaron's policy is irrelevant. Would they have allowed you to break open one of the plastic bags to inspect before purchase? I think not.
I'd be going back there in a heartbeat and demanding a refund. That rusty ammo is a legal liability for them and they Should want it taken care of a.s.a.p.
My LeBaron '93 Czech is A-O.K. BTW.
 
Update: - dropped by Lebarons and spoke to manager. I showed him the rusty rounds and got an apology and a replacement clip. (five free bullets yay!) I told him I was only 200 rounds into the case, and was concerned. He said if any more come out rusty to bring them back and he'd be happy to replace them. He took the rotton rounds and was going to contact the supplier about the problem.
 
Update: - dropped by Lebarons and spoke to manager. I showed him the rusty rounds and got an apology and a replacement clip. (five free bullets yay!) I told him I was only 200 rounds into the case, and was concerned. He said if any more come out rusty to bring them back and he'd be happy to replace them. He took the rotton rounds and was going to contact the supplier about the problem.

Good stuff! Glad to hear they're willing to exchange the rotten rounds for proper ones on a one-to-one (or better) basis.

-M
 
Back
Top Bottom