Swede 12.7x44R Rolling Block Project - Case Color Pics Added

Both mine have square threads. One, a former shotgun, used half height square threads on the shank.

Remington used square threads, too, so I'd bet a quarter that that was what was there.

Some of the later Remingtons used vee threads, too.

Cheers
Trev
 
Couple of things.
Replace the wood? WHY?
Colour case; be veeery careful with that, parts can WARP!
Ammo: www.buffaloarms.com[/url] for brass and dies (they have a great catalog)
Now I know home bluing is possible, but setting up tanks, getting the chemicals, installing burners to heat the solution, can easily cost more then taking the bits to a gunsmith and having him do the work.

O.K. I'm a spoil sport,
 
Last edited:
Couple of things.
Replace the wood? WHY?
Colour case; be veeery careful with that, parts can WARP!
Ammo: ww.buffaloarms.com for brass and dies (they have a great catalog)
Now I know home bluing is possible, but setting up tanks, getting the chemicals, installing burners to heat the solution, can easily cost more then taking the bits to a gunsmith and having him do the work.

O.K. I'm a spoil sport,

why not replace the wood...why refinish the metal if I follow that logic. its perfectly functional as is. if going through the work of redoing the metal, i want nice wood as well

home hot bluing is easily done without expensive setup. i have ammonium nitrate and lye for salts from doing some small bits in the past, i just need a tank. burners...couple coleman stoves and i'm set up. leaning toward rust bluing instead though
 
Browning can look good on a lot of old guns too.

I know one fellow who does a lot of it with just a sweat box - basically a long plywood box with a pan of water and a lightbulb in it to keep the humidity high. Takes multiple coats of browning solution until the right colour is reached. Can't recall the name of the solution just now but I'm sure its from Track of the Wolf or Dixie Gun Works.
Making sure everything is totally clean and grease free is very important for any bluing or browning.
 
Birchwood Casey Plum Brown is said to work well as a rust bluing agent, as well as as a Browning solution.

You leave it to rust for a limited time, boil and card the metal (or is that card and boil? Anyway...:))

Pretty available in most sporting goods stores, and occasional Crappy Tire's and WalMarts.

Cheers
Trev
 
I don't think that the guy I know has to do any boiling with his process. Just a quick few passes with the steel wool between coats. I'll have to try and get the details.

On a related note this thread prompted me to pick up another couple rolling blocks from Tradeex with the intention of rebarrelling them. One has a blocked barrel so I'll have lots of time to do some polishing and refinishing.

Curse you Juan and your inspiring rolling block thread!!! :)
 
I got one with a blocked barrel a while back. Once unblocked, I could see why they would go to the bother. It has a longitudinal crack a few inches in front of the chamber. Good plan on the weld.

I figure at the very worst, that the stub can still be cut off and used to sleeve another barrel blank by silver soldering it on. Poor-boy barrel threading. More likely is that it will get cut up for something else entirely.

Did you pick up oldies (antiques) or the not-as-oldies (8mm).

I got one of the 8mm Sportered ones, a while back, and I gotta say, I was very impressed with the condition overall of the action.
I got a .40 cal barrel and a 40-65 reamer, for mine! :)


Cheers
Trev
 
Have you done yours yet trevj? Got pics?

Built my sweat box today. The bbl should go in tonight. 4" pvc with caps. Just have to finish polish the bbl, should go quick on the lathe
 
Rust blued the block and hammer. I didn't want to screw any dimensions up on the block or hammer so only lightly polished the rust and dirt off. I like the look. Doesn't look like a polished part from a high end shotgun but it looks "right". I think I want a couple more coats but am running low on the LMF rusting solution so will wait until I am done my bbl

100_1795.jpg


Before


100_1792.jpg
 
Last edited:
Looking good Juan! Nice close-up pics too. Your project is coming along fast. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

The ones that I have coming are a 20ga civilian model and a 8X58R. Already got one of the 8X58 sporters and was also very impressed by the tightness and quality. Still trying to get it to shoot as it is but am in the market for barrels now and who knows.

My father did one rolling block using the barrel stub idea. Its a deadly target gun in 38-55. Might be a Ron Smith barrel - can't remember offhand.

Trevj were did you find the .40 and what twist is it? I think that my Dad still has a 40-60 or 40-65 reamer so I'm leaning that way for at least one gun. 405 win for a little more range is on my mind too but putting a Win cartridge in a Remington action doesn't seem quite right.
 
I picked up a Green Mountain by mail order a while back. Still not positive if I'm going to use it as-is, turn some of it away, or shop for a 'better' barrel.

Mine is a 16 twist.

IIRC a fellow named Mike Magee sells them out of Gull Lake SK.

Cheers
Trev
 
Does anyone know of the guy building single set triggers for the RB in Saskatchewan, I played with the trigger return spring and got great results but I would love to have a set trigger on my 38/55 roller
 
Here is my bbl after one run through the rust bluing procedure. Gave it a nice "black chrome" look but a little blotchy

100_1799.jpg

100_1800.jpg


The blower for my forge

100_1801.jpg


Here is the bbq forge, the pic isn't very good but it has a 3/4 inch pipe with with holes drilled in it coming through the side. I hook the blower on the thread end outside the bbq and cap the end on the inside. The hair dryer supplies lots of air, I'll probably get away with a low setting. I was thinking of adding a dimmer switch for speed control on the fan. My electronics friend says it will burn out the motor eventually but it is a 10$ hair dryer so...

100_1804.jpg



007-1.jpg
 
Last edited:
Your sweatbox is brilliant but watch your nosy neibours don't get a quick look at all your improvised set ups or 5the meth lab squad will be at your place like they were in S-Toon for some kid genius's chemistry set.
 
Back
Top Bottom