Switzers Auction

Speaking of lever actions, that .32-20 Winchester 73 on the left side was pretty nice. Couldn't really tell about the bore without wiping it out.
 
The .41 Colt went for $2500. No finish, serious end shake, seems to #### and index OK, bit loose. Well used grey-brown gun. Separate detached .38-40 cylinder went for $130. Don't know if the purchaser of the revolver bought the cylinder. Paul did point out that revolver + .38-40 cylinder = restricted firearm.

That's a reasonable price. I had one that looked exactly like it go for only $2000 in the EE. I was thinking of an absetee bid of $1500-$2000 myself, but didn't do it. I could tell by the heavy drag marks on the cylinder it needed a new bolt, possibly a new hand too but impossible to know without handling it. Same for the endshake and bore condiition, just didn't know. I agree the grips look correct, the gun I sold for $2000 had fairly nice grips too, for the rest of it's condition, and I'm pretty sure they were original.
 
Recently viewed some antique Colts that are going to be offered for sale, but will be WAY out of my price range. Cased Flat Top Target single action in .450, just about new; .41 Bisley, factory nickle, factory engraved, factory ivory grip. Nickled .476 DA 1878 with factory pearl grips. Restricted .38-40 SAA factory engraved factory nickled factory pearl grips. These are also in essentially new condition. Absolutely striking to see a group like this.
 
Recently viewed some antique Colts that are going to be offered for sale, but will be WAY out of my price range. Cased Flat Top Target single action in .450, just about new; .41 Bisley, factory nickle, factory engraved, factory ivory grip. Nickled .476 DA 1878 with factory pearl grips. Restricted .38-40 SAA factory engraved factory nickled factory pearl grips. These are also in essentially new condition. Absolutely striking to see a group like this.

I thought those were supposed to be a secret but it seems everyone knows about that collection now..... :cool: Way out of my price range too.
 
That's a reasonable price. I had one that looked exactly like it go for only $2000 in the EE. I was thinking of an absetee bid of $1500-$2000 myself, but didn't do it. I could tell by the heavy drag marks on the cylinder it needed a new bolt, possibly a new hand too but impossible to know without handling it. Same for the endshake and bore condiition, just didn't know. I agree the grips look correct, the gun I sold for $2000 had fairly nice grips too, for the rest of it's condition, and I'm pretty sure they were original.

Dropped another cylinder into it and rotated the arbor & presto, the end shake was all but gone & arbor is now tight. Eye balling the timing, it looks spot on. Lock up is solid as well, but was with the original as well. The original cylinder is now submerged in oil as the bushing won't budge. Ejector rod & housing was giving me some grief, but got it working. The screw holding it to the barrel is buggered & I will have to find a replacement. The bore is in good to very good condition with only one slight area of pitting. The grips are period correct but I don't believe original as they are in way to nice of shape, with sharp checkering. It doesn't jive with the condition of the rest of the gun.
 
The few guns I did want to bid on weren't pictured and I won't bid a gun I can't see the condition of so I guess they went for less than what they would have all because of a posted snapshot.

Kinda bummed.
 
More detailed photos will be sent if they are asked. The ones in the website list leave a lot to be desired. It would help if photos were taked by someone who knew what prospective buyers would want to see.
Trying to remember what Savages there were. The .303 looked nice, but I'm sure was reblued and the stock refinished.
What pieces were you interested in?
 
The only gun I bought was the last antique - a plain little single shot muzzleloading shotgun. Also the cheapest antique, @ $100.
Anyway, I have a bit of a collection of older shotguns. Find them interesting because they were the ubiquitous gun - every farm, sportsman had at least one. They can also be frequently restored to shooting condition. I've got singles, doubles, muzzleloading, breechloading, flint, cap, centerfire and pinfire.
This gun is interesting because it is was a very plain, low priced gun when it was sold. Late one. Wood screws have machine cut tapered threads. Belgian, pre-1894. It has a bridle in the lock, and a buttplate, so it is not the very cheapest grade. Nicely made, octagon to round barrel, only .556" bore. 26-27ga? 33" barrel. Good shape, sound condition, bore looks promising, might be a nice light little gun to chase rabbits or grouse with, say, 5/8 oz of 7 1/2s.
 
Back
Top Bottom