The Fenian Musket---Needham Conversion of a M1861/63 Musket.

drm3m

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Location
Montreal Quebec
I recently acquired this piece because my great-great grandfather participated in the Battle of Eccles Hill in the Eastern Townships of Quebec on May 25 1870 against the Fenians. He was a member of the Canadian Home-Guard---The ‘Red Sashes’.

He was involved in purchasing the Ballard rifles for the militia in Massachusetts some time after 1866.

There is a small number ‘447’ on the left side of the hammer striker and “IN” for “Irish Nationalists’ on the left stock flat.
I would like to find a correct .58 cal. centerfire cartridge for this gun---I have no intention of shooting it.





The "IN" stamp on the left stock flat.



Breech open.



One positive way to identify Fenian usage is to slide the middle barrel band forward. If you see a "fish-mouth" or "V" shaped splice in the forearm under the middle barrel band area held together with two heavy copper wire staples you have a definite Fenian Brotherhood used Needham! The short version is that when the Fenians were amassing arms they didn't want their arms shipments to be too obvious, so they cut the stocks of the Needham muskets and packed everything in short crates. When they reached their destination they were reassembled using the copper wire staples which are very easily seen in the barrel channel once you remove the barrel.



Full left side.



Full right side.





The article below was in the Gun Report magazine in February 1990 and tells the story of “The Fenian Musket”






 
Once again sir, a thoroughly fascinating read. Your direct connection to this particular piece really adds to that story, although I don't have to tell you that.

I also enjoy reading about all the various methods of conversions and actions employed in the mid-19th Century, some very creative and talented machinists and gunsmiths out there. Would love to attempt to recreate some form of a conversion (like a Snider, Needham, TD, etc) one day.

Thanks as always, I enjoy reading your posts.
 
Thanks for your interest and comments.

(The red arrows indicate ---James Gibbons Pell my great-great grandfather---the reason that I bought this Fenian musket)














James Gibbons Pell --my great-great grandfather in 1864 on the occasion of his wedding.





In Vol. 31, No.4 (Nov 1993) of the "Arms Collecting" publication that we used to receive from the Lower Canada Arms Collectors Association, there is a very interesting four page article with photos written by Charles J. Purdon, titled "The Ballard of The Red Sashes" that talks about the Battle of Eccles Hill and the purchasing of the Ballard Rifles.



Col. Asa Westover leader of the Home Guard (Red Sashes).





Asa Westover's Ballard rifle.

 
Back
Top Bottom