The Holy Grail

Suputin

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Today I came face to face with the Holy Grail of blackpowder guns. It was a 4 bore muzzle loading flintlock. :eek:

Apparently the thing takes upwards of 400gr of FFg and fires a 2200gr ball. The bore is H U G E !!!!

I found this pic on the internet showing a selection of 4 bore projectiles compared to a .22 rimfire and a 30-30 round.

dsc_0466low.jpg


I have given notice to the owner that I want to shoot this thing. How can one come face to face with such a rare piece of history and not sample it? Now I just have to find a suitable target. I'm thinking maybe a large pumpkin filled with red jello. :cool:

He also has a beautiful 10 bore double hammer rifle that I am gonna use to work up to the monstrous 4 bore. Ya gotta love eccentric gentlemen with money. :cool:
 
A few years ago I read that there were only 2 or 3 of these in North America. The few other remaining survivors were supposed to be in Africa.
This baby would sure be fun to plink with....if you're young and really strong. Old brittle bones would be a no-no I guess.
Any pictures coming?
 
Any pictures coming?

When we go out to shoot it, I will take pics and video. Today was just one of those unexpected moments and I didn't have a camera with me.

We were standing around talking guns when I made a comment about the huge and rare 4 bore. The gentleman reaches into his safe and pulls out this gorgeous monster to put it in my hands. What an experience that was. :)

I had to promise to clean the thing but it will all be worth it to shoot an original 4 bore flintlock.
 
When we go out to shoot it, I will take pics and video. Today was just one of those unexpected moments and I didn't have a camera with me.

We were standing around talking guns when I made a comment about the huge and rare 4 bore. The gentleman reaches into his safe and pulls out this gorgeous monster to put it in my hands. What an experience that was. :)

I had to promise to clean the thing but it will all be worth it to shoot an original 4 bore flintlock.

How old is it? I've been hearing about how some old flinters can blow right up, dismembering the shooter, loss of hands etc.

Make sure the thing is sound...are you sure it isn't really a wallhanger?
 
[youtube]KE93iSwnkJw[/youtube] good luck and make sure we get some video:eek:
[youtube]ElmlIyOtf1Q&feature=relatedy[/youtube]
 
I believe either Stanley or Livingston packed one of these half way across Africa. And fredrik Selous was famous for being one of the few who shot a 4 bore regularly.
Isn't the 4 bore mentioned in "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross? My copy's out on loan so I can't research it at the moment, and haven't read it for 4 or 5 years.
 
How old is it? I've been hearing about how some old flinters can blow right up, dismembering the shooter, loss of hands etc.

Make sure the thing is sound...are you sure it isn't really a wallhanger?

It is probably mid to late 1800's vintage. It is in PERFECT shape and is simply gorgeous. To experience something so rare and exotic I will accept some potential danger. Many years ago I shot a 300+ year old match lock. That was a slightly sketchy experience but one I will remember forever.

Isn't the 4 bore mentioned in "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross? My copy's out on loan so I can't research it at the moment, and haven't read it for 4 or 5 years.

That was a double barreled SxS hammer cartridge gun. This is a single barreled muzzle loader flintlock.
 
It is probably mid to late 1800's vintage. It is in PERFECT shape and is simply gorgeous. To experience something so rare and exotic I will accept some potential danger. Many years ago I shot a 300+ year old match lock. That was a slightly sketchy experience but one I will remember forever.



That was a double barreled SxS hammer cartridge gun. This is a single barreled muzzle loader flintlock.

Thanks for the refresher!:) I can just maybe imagine the shock if one of those doubled on you.
 
I have fired the gun that doubled in the video, and what happen is he fired the front trigger first and from the recoil his hand slipped and hit the rear trigger causing it to fire both barrels. He fires both a 1600 and a 1850 grain bullet with 400 grains of black powder and the gun is around 24 pounds
Flint 4 bores are rare to say the least is it rifled or a smoothbore. I have and fire a 8 bore percussion rifle and it is for a ball as a lot of the muzzleloading guns are. So I do not think you will get a 2200 grain ball. My ball mold for a 4 bore is .940 and I believe is around 1200 grains and some of the 4 bores were up to 1 inch so may require a larger ball. It should be a unique experince
John
 
Wish Dad and I had one of those 4 Bores when we were clearing forest back in the late 60's and early 70's. One shot and a whole strip would be cleared.
 
Flint 4 bores are rare to say the least is it rifled or a smoothbore.

It is rifled. The rifling is quite deep, it looks almost like a gear spline.

I do not think you will get a 2200 grain ball. My ball mold for a 4 bore is .940 and I believe is around 1200 grains and some of the 4 bores were up to 1 inch so may require a larger ball.

I thought about it after my first post and realized that 7000 gr divided by four would be 1750 gr. I didn't measure the bore so I don't know the exact size but it is FREAKIN HUGE!

It should be a unique experience

Thats what I am counting on. :) I am considering a large pumpkin filled with red jellow for a target. :)

I believe that regret is more painful than 400 grains of blackpowder. When the Holy Grail presents itself, you drink from it.

Damn straight! Many years ago I passed on the chance to see a major historical landmark while in Italy. To this day I kick myself for that decision. I will not miss out on the chance to try something so rare and historical and just outright wicked cool! :) If it puts me in hospital then I will wear that as a badge of honour. :cool:
 
am i reading it wrong? The post says 4 bore flint... that is obviously a precussion cap ignition.

I noticed the video said "AJ Higgins N1 4 Bore 1989" in the markings, is that just the model number? or is this a reproduction from 1989?

But that is still a crazy amount of recoil! :D
 
Back
Top Bottom