The new 1000 yard toy is home. HAS BEEN SHOT

Muzzle loader never tried one.
This is what I did after running out of bullets. 14 bullets per pound. Theres 14 lbs of bullets there.


Then my 20 lb block of wax that had to be cut up. Welder with a 3/32 ss filler rod between stinger and ground at 40 amps.


Have to find the old frying pan so I can make some more lube. Bought Canola oil and crisco to mix with the bees wax. That plus the pure lanolin.
Having fun.
 
Last edited:
Venturing into the black powder world.
Drop tubes, wads, lube cookies, vibrating case, compression, bullet lube and thats just scratching the surface.
Powder choice right now is Swiss 1 1/2fg, 70 grains to start.
.05 and .017 wads. Using 1 .017 wad under bullet.
500 grain bullet.
tapping case 20X to get powder to settle 1/2 inch for bullet seating. .11 powder compression.
Will look around for a drop tube later today.
Need bp bullet lube and a blow tube for after shot softening.
What else?

Drop tube, powder measure, blow tube, redding lubr a sizer, etc. are all available here...
http://www.shilohrifle.com/
It is where I got my gear.
I have met the owners at a shoot last summer in sask. Nice people...
 
:dancingbanana::dancingbanana::dancingbanana:
Finally got out to shoot the new toy. Yup I'm a convert. Hit the 500 with the last shot. The others went over into the trees.
Proof:


So I have found a recipe that seems to work and chamber OK.
500gr bullet, 3.7cc of 1 1/2 swiss powder(62.9grains) down a 24 inch drop tube, a .017 wad and a .030 wad. This puts about .11 compression/compaction on the powder.
The bullet lube is 50% bees wax and 50% (baby oil/corn oil/pure lanolin/red crayon and a dash of alox) No leading at all.
Cleaned up easily with windex and water. 6 patches and your done.
I need to cast some more bullets, argh!
Will likely load up some bp loads for the other 45/70's that I own now!!
PURE FUN

Pray tell you are using Windex will vinegar.
And not Windex with ammonia.
Yes Windex comes with both. The wife did have to look around for a bit Windex with vinegar.
Best stuff I have seen for cleaning bugs off the windsheald in summer too.
 
Cool thing is there isn't much difference in recoil from 60 grains to 70 grains of black powder. Another cool thing was hearing the target sing from the hit before the smoke cleared. The gun is not that loud actually. More of a whoosh. Have to cast lots of bullet, because this gun just rose to the top of my fun guns.
Its a lot of work putting together everything for this black powder gun but I have to tell you it was worth it.
LIG
Back to the honey do list!!

Pan lubing and a cutter made out of a 300 win mag case drilled out for a nail to push the bullet back out. This is gooey stuff. 1 pound of bees wax, 1/2 pound of lard, 1/2 pound of canola oil, 1 teaspoon of pure lanolin. Softest hands I've ever had the betterhalf says.


Bullets ready to be inserted into cases.
 
Today's casting drive. 24 lbs of 500 grain boolits, so that should be close to 336 boolits. That means I have used up 24 pounds of my lead stash. Need more lead(just kidding).


Tire store shopping yields 50% lead and 50% steel now. Hope they go back to lead soon.
Mooncoon I just spill some bullet lube all over the woodstove sending this strange fragrance through out the house. Enthusiastic stirring. Thankfully it didn't ignite. Yes the fire extinguisher is handy.
The lanolin part I think gave it the strong presence!!
 
Last edited:
I'm a proud owner of a Pedersoli Sharpes "Boss" with a 34" barrel... I had mine down at the Sherwood park range between Christmas and new years testing some loads I ordered mine through Bilozir guns out of Dewinton, Alberta. I ordered a soule tang site and a 500 gn spitzer mould for my loads. I cant wait until it warms up a tad.. YAHOO congrats on your toy.. we are going to have loads o fun with them..!
 
I'm a proud owner of a Pedersoli Sharpes "Boss" with a 34" barrel... I had mine down at the Sherwood park range between Christmas and new years testing some loads I ordered mine through Bilozir guns out of Dewinton, Alberta. I ordered a soule tang site and a 500 gn spitzer mould for my loads. I cant wait until it warms up a tad.. YAHOO congrats on your toy.. we are going to have loads o fun with them..!

Nice rig.
S770.jpg


I'm waiting for temps above -10C before I go do some more load developement.
Any pictures of your cast bullets?
 
380 - 500 grain bullets lubed and ready to go.


Another casting day with considerably higher lead percentage.


Shot some bp reloads with pistol primers yesterday. Didn't see any difference from the large rifle primers. Shot some black powder in the H&R Buffalo classic, sweet comes to mind(5 minutes to clean). I think 500 yards with the H&R buffalo classic will be do-able.(new sights coming for it)

Had to remove the tang sight off the Pedersoli. Couldn't get on paper at 100. 20 inches high. Makes cleaning easier too! Need a set of eyes that see a 3/4 inch dot at 100. Mine only see 4 inch dot. No snow at the bottom of the target anymore!! Still have to remember to use the blow tube to soften the carbon. Why won't that cartridge go in... Oh ya blow tube. Learning a new shooting discipline at this stage in life. LIG
 
Back
Top Bottom