Thought I'd post this here as well....

Should try milling a spot out and making a fly for it. I’ll have a look at all my tumblers and let you know.
 
Looked into it and no the Clark tumblers aren’t cut for a fly. So your pretty much stuck, with an old fashioned, single hang trigger.
 
curved fine pieces? you mean the wire inlay?

No, just the fine details on your inlays and patch box. I see a lot of fine scalloping on there (the curves) and lots of detail on some of those larger inlays, takes a lot of time and patience. Basics I know, but it takes a lot of practice to get those looking so fine. I may as well be using a chainsaw compared to your work! :) Good work.
 
No, just the fine details on your inlays and patch box. I see a lot of fine scalloping on there (the curves) and lots of detail on some of those larger inlays, takes a lot of time and patience. Basics I know, but it takes a lot of practice to get those looking so fine. I may as well be using a chainsaw compared to your work! :) Good work.

the secret (or my secret I guess) is scribing the lines with a knife first rather than stabbing in with a flat chisel or gouge - then making sure the wire has no kinks whatsoever. the wood will just not "press them out"
I made some very narrow chisels from O1 tools steel - none are wider than a couple of millimeters. just to keep the lines as smooth as possible.

but thanks! :)
 
Great craftsmanship and an excellent eye for the little details that make the stock pop out. Obviously you are very good at woodworking but I'd really like to know what your work/trade is?
I was a licensed truck and bus mechanic and welder but I too played with wood as a hobby. I mainly made antique looking cabinets, hall trees, jam cupboards, my bathroom 1/4 sawn oak vanity and linen tower and the list goes on.
 
Great craftsmanship and an excellent eye for the little details that make the stock pop out. Obviously you are very good at woodworking but I'd really like to know what your work/trade is?
I was a licensed truck and bus mechanic and welder but I too played with wood as a hobby. I mainly made antique looking cabinets, hall trees, jam cupboards, my bathroom 1/4 sawn oak vanity and linen tower and the list goes on.

Thanks :)

My background is mechanical engineering, though I am a web developer/programmer ... :) I dunno, wood shop was still a thing (as was metal shop) when I was in school from grades 7 - 12 ... dad always had a shop in the back ... I guess I just 'grew up handy' ;)

I actually had a shop teacher in grade school with only 9 fingers .... :)
 
Back
Top Bottom