Please explain in detail how a forged lock is ten times better than a cast and cut one.
You reference to wrought iron is particularly interesting.
John Clark, mentioned above, was having his frizzens cast using 52-100 steel when I knew him. Nigh on 40 years ago. That is high carbon steel with a vengance.
Given equal degrees of finishing, there is no difference in the appearance of forged and precision cast parts.
Wear is determined by alloy and heat treatment, not by how things are made.
Wrought iron is dead soft unless case hardened, and is of little use in a lock, except perhaps for the plate, which is basically just a chassis for the working parts. Incidentally, where are you getting your wrought iron?
Modern casting techniques permit the use of sophisticated steel alloys.
Which lockparts are you going to pattern weld?
PLEASE show us some pictures of your work.
the plate for sure and the pan maybe the hammer i will not be making the locks untill spring comes
I don't want to put myself too far back in line but while on the topic of Mr Clark his prices for his lancaster rifle kit and long rifle kit are crazy cheap for what he offers. Anyone thinking on a build would do well to check his web site. for 800 bucks all that is left to do are the idiot proof fun parts. full inletting, vented, lugs, pin holes drilled etc etc. Oh yeah and Canadian Maple wood.
I for one am gonna buy up a few of his complete locks and lock kits while we are still lucky enough to have a chance at them. Made in Canada! and they are engraved J Clark Toronto. How cool is that.
Tiraq that south paw pistol lock has me green with envy. Any idea where it was made? Sure would look some nice on a scaled 40 cal fowler. Let me know when you are having your yard sale. LOL
crazy cheap:
yeah 800 is alot of money but when you compare to what else is available it is excellent value. I have a soft spot for quality.
the fellow on ALR gets his wrought iron from salvage material including wagon wheel rims. There was one fellow on ALR who owned a wrought iron framed greenhouse (a big one) that he is dismantling and intends to sell the iron. I know of several hundred pounds of wrought iron which is in Departure Bay just a few hundred yards from the ferry terminal but you would need to be fast and have a 60 foot boat with a good winch and strong boom to get it (plus dive). 30 or more years ago I was one of several divers who recovered an anchor from a square rigger there and left an unknown amount of roughly 1 1/2" chain on the bottom.
cheers mooncoon
I have a smallish wrought iron stair railing I'm getting ready to change out for oak.

crazy cheap:
yeah 800 is alot of money but when you compare to what else is available it is excellent value. I have a soft spot for quality. These things never seem like much till the day they are no longer available.
I have a smallish wrought iron stair railing I'm getting ready to change out for oak.
$800 is not bad at all. but I saw $1200.
Am I wrong?



























