First off, I know I could post this in the reloading section, but I'm hoping to target antique owners, since this is specific to firing older antique guns.
-------------------------------------------------
EDIT - I rethought my question after posting
I am looking for a powder that can be bulk, or volumetrically measured into blackpowder cartridges, specifically 44 russian and 455 webley. The idea would be to either A) simply fill a case to a certain point and load the bullet, or B) measure a charge by weight, and then find out what rough approximate volume that would be and afterwards use a variable volumetric measure set for that amount.
My requirements are:
1) The powder be non-corrosive
2) The powder be safe for volumetric reloading
I am open to any and all suggestions as long as it meets those two requirements
------------------------------------------------------
The original post:
I have limited experience with both IMR's Trail Boss and Alliant's Unique powders and am curious about CGN'ers' opinions of them.
I've always adhered closely to loadings and kept my loads as conservative as possible with my antiques. I am however looking for a powder that can be reloaded a bit more loosely (more along the lines of black powder) since I have gotten in the habit of reloading some single shot cartridges by hand at the range with black powder. This is quite convenient and rather fun, but I would prefer to not use black powder on some of my guns.
So, recognizing that this would only be used on 455 and 44 russian cartridges with fully seated bullets in solid functional antiques, is either powder bulky enough to load with a set volumetric measure rather than a scale and not risk over pressure cartridges?
To rephrase in a different way for more clarity, if a certain safe load of weighed powder of either Unique or Trail Boss were found to shoot well in an antique revolver chambered in 455 or 44 russian and were then transferred to a volumetric measure, would you consider it safe to then measure subsequent charges with the volumetric measure set at that measurement, or slightly below it, with the bullet seated down on the charge without an air gap etc. If it would be safe, which powder would you choose and why (volume, low peak pressure, volatility etc etc etc).
For bonus points, what're your loads for 455 or 44 russian using unique or trail boss loads?
-------------------------------------------------
EDIT - I rethought my question after posting
I am looking for a powder that can be bulk, or volumetrically measured into blackpowder cartridges, specifically 44 russian and 455 webley. The idea would be to either A) simply fill a case to a certain point and load the bullet, or B) measure a charge by weight, and then find out what rough approximate volume that would be and afterwards use a variable volumetric measure set for that amount.
My requirements are:
1) The powder be non-corrosive
2) The powder be safe for volumetric reloading
I am open to any and all suggestions as long as it meets those two requirements
------------------------------------------------------
The original post:
I have limited experience with both IMR's Trail Boss and Alliant's Unique powders and am curious about CGN'ers' opinions of them.
I've always adhered closely to loadings and kept my loads as conservative as possible with my antiques. I am however looking for a powder that can be reloaded a bit more loosely (more along the lines of black powder) since I have gotten in the habit of reloading some single shot cartridges by hand at the range with black powder. This is quite convenient and rather fun, but I would prefer to not use black powder on some of my guns.
So, recognizing that this would only be used on 455 and 44 russian cartridges with fully seated bullets in solid functional antiques, is either powder bulky enough to load with a set volumetric measure rather than a scale and not risk over pressure cartridges?
To rephrase in a different way for more clarity, if a certain safe load of weighed powder of either Unique or Trail Boss were found to shoot well in an antique revolver chambered in 455 or 44 russian and were then transferred to a volumetric measure, would you consider it safe to then measure subsequent charges with the volumetric measure set at that measurement, or slightly below it, with the bullet seated down on the charge without an air gap etc. If it would be safe, which powder would you choose and why (volume, low peak pressure, volatility etc etc etc).
For bonus points, what're your loads for 455 or 44 russian using unique or trail boss loads?
Last edited:




























...for example
, the smallest Lee dipper I've seen (the 0.3 cc one) still packs something like 2.2 grains of IMR-700X (or 2.7 grains of Unique) - a load that is still too hot for reloading the .320-calibre British Bulldogs ! 





















