- Location
- Greater Vancouver
Hello all,
I am trying to determine the rough value of several old rifles my mother has. They were collected by my father years ago, and while I know some of their history, I do not know enough about antiques to advise her on their value. If anyone would have input on their value it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if she were to wish to sell them where would you think would be the best venue for that, would that be here on the EE? We are in the Greater Vancouver area, and I have done a little recce at a gun show of the Heritage Arms Collectors Society.
1) The first is percussion musket, about whose make and origin I am uncertain. When I showed the photos at the HACS show someone thought it might have been of French origin. Possibly the markings on the lock mean Model 1848, made in 1850, serial number 113. All the numbers appear to be matching.
2) The second is what I believe to be a Remington Rolling Block.
3) The third is a Danish Krag Jørgensen Carbine 1889.
4) The final one is a Snider Carbine. I've read that it is similar to what the original Northwest Mounted Police were issued. In spite of the external hammer it is not a percussion lock. The hammer strikes the end of a working, spring loaded firing pin that then slopes down diagonally through the breech block.
The Snider has an unusual history. My father told me that this Snider had been produced to be given as military aid/bribery to court the favour of some locals, though where is not clear. Accordingly it was made in smooth-bore, in case today's friends became tomorrow's enemy. It also has writing carved into it that appears to be Arabic or Sanscrit, but I am no expert on that.
So if anyone has any idea what these might be worth, or a good way to determine their value I would appreciate any feedback. I'd also like your opinion on the best place to get a fair price for them, here on EE or some auction sites?
Peter
I am trying to determine the rough value of several old rifles my mother has. They were collected by my father years ago, and while I know some of their history, I do not know enough about antiques to advise her on their value. If anyone would have input on their value it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if she were to wish to sell them where would you think would be the best venue for that, would that be here on the EE? We are in the Greater Vancouver area, and I have done a little recce at a gun show of the Heritage Arms Collectors Society.
1) The first is percussion musket, about whose make and origin I am uncertain. When I showed the photos at the HACS show someone thought it might have been of French origin. Possibly the markings on the lock mean Model 1848, made in 1850, serial number 113. All the numbers appear to be matching.
2) The second is what I believe to be a Remington Rolling Block.
3) The third is a Danish Krag Jørgensen Carbine 1889.
4) The final one is a Snider Carbine. I've read that it is similar to what the original Northwest Mounted Police were issued. In spite of the external hammer it is not a percussion lock. The hammer strikes the end of a working, spring loaded firing pin that then slopes down diagonally through the breech block.
The Snider has an unusual history. My father told me that this Snider had been produced to be given as military aid/bribery to court the favour of some locals, though where is not clear. Accordingly it was made in smooth-bore, in case today's friends became tomorrow's enemy. It also has writing carved into it that appears to be Arabic or Sanscrit, but I am no expert on that.
So if anyone has any idea what these might be worth, or a good way to determine their value I would appreciate any feedback. I'd also like your opinion on the best place to get a fair price for them, here on EE or some auction sites?
Peter


















































