Trying to get antique letters on a couple of Mauser C96 Conehammers

detonator

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I purchased a couple of Mauser C96 Conehammers in the U.S. and I’m having difficulties getting antique status letters for them. The guns have serial numbers in the 5### and 6### ranges, which I thought were a no-brainer for antique status.

The RCMP firearms people are asking for proof as to their manufacture date. I gave reference to a few web sites as well as an excerpt from the“Blue Book of Gun Values”, but they rejected this as evidence. They said that production of the Mauser C96 pistols reached high 1,000 (1800-1900) in the autumn of 1897 and production then skipped to 4,000. Later in the year 1897 or beginning 1898 the Mauser firm skipped again in the 10,000 - 12,000 range and then reverted back to the 6,000, 7,000, 8,000 later in the year (but which year, 1897 or 1898??). I believe they are getting this, still undefinitive either way, information from the book “The Mauser Self-Loading Pistol” by Belford and Dunlap, which I have a copy of. I also have the books “The Broomhandle Pistol 1896-1936” by Erickson and Pate, and “System Mauser” by Breathead and Schroeder. Unfortunately none of these books give any facts or even opinions to support my case. I was under the impression from people “in the know” that they may sign off on guns in serial 0-2000, and 4000-7700. In this case they are not willing to do so.

Does anyone out there have any evidence to forward them that will help my cause? I’m pretty sure they’ve given antique status letters to conehammers in these serial ranges in the past. Has anyone out there been issued antique status letters for conehammers in these serial number ranges? I will pay a nice consultation fee to anyone who can provide evidence that results in my getting antiques status letters for these two conehammers. Are there any conehammer experts out there?
 
I called them last week regarding the same issue and received the same response you did.

Steve

IRUNGUNS
 
I think the RCMP are willing to help, they just need an expert opinion, or something, somewhere, that says or speculates otherwise. The evidence they give for denying the letters is based only on "maybes". It's a "guilty until proven innocent" sort of thing.
 
I have a suspicion that they're taking dimmer views on antique status these days. Probably the best thing you could do is start finding and contacting antique broomhandle mauser owners and get a blacked out copy of their antique letters (no personal info on them) with serial numbers and hopefully bracket your production dates, then use those in addition to your references to show them that they have given out permission and that is correct due to historical research.
 
You don't NEED an antique status letter. I understand it for going over the border though. You could always try my letter system, there is a thread here somewhere.
 
Yes, that's what I'm hoping to do here. Everyone, please let me know if you've been issued antique status letters for C96 conehammers in these serial # ranges.
 
Well, if I was caught with one of these in the bush and I didn't have an antiques status letter, could they not take it away permanently if I couldn't prove that it was made in 1897 or earlier?
 
Well, if I was caught with one of these in the bush and I didn't have an antiques status letter, could they not take it away permanently if I couldn't prove that it was made in 1897 or earlier?

Something like that. Potentially yes I would say, but it entirely depends on who you run into, what the police dept knows about firearms and antique laws, their stance on ownership, their interest in doing anything and whether or not you hire a lawyer.

The sworn affidavit from a verifier would be a good one - if you have one that is ok'd by the CFC then they'd kinda be in a corner trying to deny it.
 
Thank you for your response Wally, but I'm not sure what you mean buy a sworn affidavit from a verifier. I'm trying to get a couple of antique letter from a verifier and so far they're turning me down. Are you talking about finding a different verifier? If so, where do I find one?
 
Verifiers are typically non-RCMP/CFC private "contractors" if you will, sometimes gunsmiths. I thought there was a listing of all verifiers and you could find your closest one. Have them verify it's an antique firearm with an endorsed letter. This could be sent to both the CFC for an official CFC Antique letter as well as to your seller in the US.
 
Apparently a verifier has to put his hands on the guns to verify them, but they're still in the U.S. It's kind of a catch-22 situation.
 
Back
Top Bottom