trying to re create the Hickok Tutt shot

Glad it worked out for ya!! I was telling my wife about the shot you were trying to recreate...I think we both thought you were a bit crazy to try and get there with a cap n ball. Proved me wrong!
 
LOL
I shoot my Modern hand guns at 100 yards fairly often. Most of my guns can make that shot. I love pushing my hand guns as far as I can.

But I always kinda figured 45 yards was the Max limit.....if you were lucky...with a Cop N Ball. I never took the time to experiment or to really challenge my self. I didnt think it was worth the bother with a 100 plus year old Revolver design .....with a V channel for sights LOL

I read the Tutt story......can this be true ?.....or another old western tale exaggerated over time. I HAD to find out !

when the moon and the stars are in line & lady luck is sitting on your shoulder.....yup.. can be done. I hit the target in the chest & neck the first 2 shots........then missed horribly LOL....and with your 451's saksgunowner !!
 
I'm not done folks,..I'm setting the Target stand at 100 yards out next trip out.

I need to be steadier. I was thinking about learning how to stabilize my shot with the "hand over arm" method.
hand-over.jpg


maybe this would help. I dont know. but I'm gonna try it.
The old revolver is soooo front heavy. If you try to really take your time,...it works against you. the gun wants to Dip.
 
I went out to the range with my buddy. He brought his No name E bay chronograph along.
dont know how accurate it is but it seemed to work fine.

I put 5 shots through. using 451 round ball, a wad...30 g of hodgdon triple 7 powder and Number 10 rem cap.

the average speed was 908 fps. I was surprised at the speed. thats pretty darn good I thought.

it seems my Load Formula is "Roughly "equivalent to a " Plus P" 38 special round in speed & energy.
They" say" tripple 7 runs a tad hotter than the rest of the powders. I dont know if thats a 100% correct statement.

any way,,, it was just nice to have some sort of data.

after researching some of the cowboy forums,....some say ball is more accurate than Conical at long distance and penetration because it Doesnt Tumble. dont know if that is 100% true.


100 yard shot coming up tomorrow

UPDATE- well ....my 100 yard shot is not worthy of posting. that extra 25 yards at that distance is a lot harder.
best your gonna get with 6 shots at 100 yards is 1 body shot "some where"
Not going to bother to pursue it. 75 yards is just fine. LOL
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom