Value of swiss 1882 service revolver

What size /weight of bullets will you use?Neat cartridge from what I see on pixs

I have 3 types of bullets currently on hand that work well:

---》 Hornady 71 gain .311 diameter FMJ (sadly, discontinued by Hornady !)
---》 Winchester 100 grain .312 diameter LRNFP
---》 H&N 100 grain .314 diameter lead wadcutter

The Hornady's are little lasers, the Winchesters are good for plinking and are reasonably accurate, and the H&N's are incredibly consistent and accurate. The later are also little "hammers", and with enough charge behind it, would make a good little defensive round.

I am currently running 2.9 grains of Trail Boss, which is the conservative lawyer approved "maximum" according to the Hodgson website for 32 S&W Long. This equates to only 730 fps. It feels like a mouse fart! I can certainly go higher if I wanted to, and wouldn't bat an eye pushing 900-1000 fps.

I am now experimenting with full length 32-20 (32 WCF) brass sized in a M1 30 Carbine sizer with the 100 grain .314 diameter wadcutters protruding only 2 mm above the rim (bees wax coated to help prevent fouling). I have tried 2.8 and 2.9 grains of Trail Boss. So far, MUCH less barrel fouling, no chamber fouling, and tight 2-2.5 inch 6 round groups at 25 yards when I do my part! These are still weak loads, and there's some room left to up the Trail Boss a few more grains. Safe and fun.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom