Very Intresting 1875 Remy (mayor of Tombstones 1882)

Every old firearm has it's tales to tell, really pulls at ones imagination trying to devine the old one's secrets .... This one, Dingus, is oh so close to revealing the facts of it's role in western history. Please keep the info coming as you learn.
The Clum photo shows him wearing a cross draw or perhaps a double rig with what appears to be ivory or horn grips. The way that his belt is riding high and horizontal, does it not seem that he may well have a second revolver behind that right hand gauntlet glove?. Some records of his habitual carry may come to light, would like to know, 'cause for me, how carried is as telling as what is carried.
The guy kept his boots shiney, very likely his iron too, may explain the patina.
A mystery, however, is why would a clean bored gun have been stripped to frame and barrel?.
BTW, your photo's are really well done.
 
100 years from now if no one takes any measures to preserve it , it will be a pile of really rusty metal .

but if you take the time to restore it to what it would look like when new , there is a very good chance 100 years from now , someone will still be able to put a few rounds through it and experience a piece of history , rather than look at a really really rusty piece of steel that once was a frame .
 
Looks like a fine piece of gun treasure there!! How did you become the owner of this piece? That is the most interesting part of collecting and shooting, imagine the hands it has gone through! If you are going to restore it I would send it to Doug Turnbull, its well worth the hassle. For info on Remington guns I would get in touch with John Glyde if he doesn't have the awnser he will know where to direct you, you can contact him on rimfirecetral,com, best of luck! your gunnut friend Dale Z in T-Bay
 
A mystery, however, is why would a clean bored gun have been stripped to frame and barrel?

If I died tommorow and my guns were scattered to the wind you could ask the same question about a couple decades worth of 'inprogress' projects. Sometimes the best intentions are hampered.
 
Very nice piece. If I where so lucky, I would try to find a 75 in about the same condition to use as parts, then put repro stuff in the parts gun, and refinish that.
 
Very nice piece. If I where so lucky, I would try to find a 75 in about the same condition to use as parts, then put repro stuff in the parts gun, and refinish that.

Thats what im gona do basicly i have enough old parts from guns i bought and put all new parts in as most guys want reliable shooters not old rusty springs ect.
The big boys are getting intrested in the gun now :) the smithonion place in the USA + others are all looking into it.
Some guys in the US are saying its probley fake but they want to buy it anyway im like ya i didnt fall of no potato truck buddy :D

most of the people that are there top help a persoin figger this stuff out are saying its looking good! so i am hopefull they find some info.

Now being as Clum left the Tombstone news paper in 1882 that he he started years earler, im thinking this gun mighta been a persentation piece as presentation guns are normally engraved.
This is my thoughts on the gun after reading what and when clum did things in his life.
I cant see a guy just engraveing his gun outa the blue. but a gift makes sence as the gift givers dont want anyone but Mr Clum to have the gun hence the engraveing.
Anyway i will keep you posted good or bad news.
It wont be bad either way i end up with another shooter so i aint gona be crying to much :)
 
I'm all up for keeping antiques original, so long as they're in great shape. But in this case, its not much of a "gun" i.e. shooter, with the pieces missing. I say build er up!
Its not much different than finding a '57 Chevy thats missing a motor and tranny. Nice to look at but what good is it? Cars were made to drive, Guns were made to shoot!
I sure hope there is such a thing as reincarnation...I'm coming back as Dingus! (I'd even settle for being one of his guns)
 
Dingus the same thing happened to me I happened to the 36th S&W 357 Registered Magnum ever built and was told it wasn't the real thing and offerred peanuts! Don't let go till you have it verified and get what its really worth, they wouldn't offer you anything if it didn'y have some telltale truth that its real. I would sure still like to hear how you aquired this piece of history if it doesn't break anybodies confidents. Hope it all works out! Dale in T-Bay
 
Ok The guy i bought it from got it at and estate sale of the late HAROLD DEEN ALDERDICE.
Now MR Alderdice died recently in 2010.
Alderdice was a collector of civel war stuff and guns old colts Ect he is listed as a Doner at the Texas Ranger museum in TX so the guy was known.
He musta liked this piece or why keep it right till he died he wouldnt part with it.
The guy i bought it of didnt even know it was pre 1898 at frist or who P clum was.

Thats all i got today.
also Clum has some nice stuff on display at the smitionian instiute place in the USA as he was a postal inspector in Alaska for years till he retired as well as Apache Agent and Mayor of tombstone ect ect.
i got alot of neat photos of him with apaches and on horse back ect.
very intresting stuff.
I aint gona part with it easy.
The Muesum in Tombstone said they would buy it... phoned me today. so thats good enough for me.
But im waiting to be 100% certin tho it could take weeks or months.

I found some internet libery FULL of notes and letters of Clums but gota figger out how to get into it all to read it.
 
Dingus thanks for the back story, its great! I wouldn't let it go either ,atleast till the US dollar goes way up, I also wouldn't let go of certain treasures ,so understand completely. cheers Dale in T-Bay
 
Dingus, how's about posting some of your pics of Mr. Clum. I'd love to see them and I bet lotso other guys would too. You are a lucky guy to have such a great piece of history.
 
If the museum in Tombstone wants to buy it, it's probably the real deal. Congratulations on the acquisition of a real piece of the Old West!
 
Here he is with his Apache comrads i think he is wearing my 1875 :)
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzclum.jpg

"The Apaches delighted in torture. The squaws, especially, were like the women of certain hill tribes in India - in love with cruelty. Once, in the Tonto basin, I saw a group of children playing in front of one of their bear-grass huts while some squaws were grinding corn near by. The children had captured some young turtle doves from a nest and were intent on sticking large thorns into the bird's eyes, much to the amusement of the squaws. And on a hunting trip for deer in the Sierra Anchas I saw a young fawn being skinned alive by the squaws. No wonder it was the chief determination of whites in those days never to be taken alive by the Indians.

Knowing all these things, it is not surprising that the settlers in such fights as that of the caves of Salt River and some others, killed squaws as well as bucks. Yet, admitting all that is the worst in the Indian, there is still much in him that I admire.: his unconquerable spirit, his love of freedom, his infinite patience and unflinching stoicism" Scouting on Two Continents by Frederick Russell Burnham D.S.O. A man who spent quite a bit of time in Tombstone in those days.
 
Extremely nice find, Dingus! Your best yet, I'd say (from what I've seen so far)... Congratulations!

:)


Now, if you asked me... I'd say that every once in a while a gun comes by that you just can't justify modifying AT ALL (and I happen to love clean & new looking guns, and I just hate rust!). This is one of these guns. If you want to preserve it from further rust, you should put some axel grease inside & outside or something... but a rust removal and re-bluing will make it absolutely lose it's original value, as it will seem like it's something you engraved in your basement. Don't forget that there are ways to tell if an engraving is original through metal aging analysis... but if you remove the rust and reblue the whole deal, it will be much harder or even impossible to do.

This is one of those guns that can very well pay for 10+ new-like 1875's on gunbroker... so why hamper the value by tampering with it at all? In the States, the collectors don't care about how shiny it is.. they care about how original it is (mostly due to their 2nd amendment rights, giving them the opportunity to own & carry whatever they please... not necessarily a shooting antique. In Canada, we care about shinyness and shootability of our "legal antiques", but that's only us... the repressed sheeple!).

Personally, I'd find out what the museum is offering and what conditions they're gonna give you prior to the purchase. I am sure they'll want to examine it or, at the very least, verify the serial numbers. If the gun is modified however (or worse.. reblued!), they will probably just tell you to keep it.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents...

;)
 
I never said anywhere i would reblue it.
I will put orignal parts with the same patina on them so its a functional revolver tho.
adding parts doesnt alter what i have.
its last 135 years i bet the last 100 just as it sits.
its got some weird hairline areas where the metals gone they look like craks but there not im not sure if it was in a fire and there heat stress fractures or what.
anyway its not getting refinished not by me anyway.
 
Back
Top Bottom