Webley Mk I shaved to 45 ammo

johnnylo

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
291   0   0
Location
ONTARIO
I was in the US and saw this ammo and was wondering if anyone remembers the max load for a Webley, these are loaded to 16,000psi and are made for 45 revolvers...not to sure if they are safe to fire....
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=251&language=en
 
That's pushing it several hundred FPS higher than the original webley loads... I wouldn't risk it.

The auto rim round will work, but it's the loading I wouldn't trust.
 
I load 5gr of Unique behind a 200gr Lee cast bullet that I pour myself (using 45 ACP cases). According to my reloading manual, that is below 9,000 PSI, yet still retains very good FPS (I forget the exact fps it generates... but it's in between 700 and 800).

And yes... reloading is a must if you want to shoot your antiques because A) specialty ammo for antiques is very scarce and B) it costs and arm and a leg IF you can manage to find it. However, given all the benefits of reloading (even for modern calibers), you will not regret getting into it.

:cool:
 
I was in the US and saw this ammo and was wondering if anyone remembers the max load for a Webley, these are loaded to 16,000psi and are made for 45 revolvers...not to sure if they are safe to fire....
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=251&language=en

At 16000 psi you would be 23% above standard MK I design pressures but well under proof pressure. From a longevity perspective this is not ideal but shootable. Now the big BUT is in the supplied link, they have the 255 grain flat nosed/flat base bullet moving at 904fps - 463 ft./lbs. That is one heavy bullet moving very fast there is no way that round is only generating 16000 psi in a MK it's more like 23000+ psi, well in the 45 acp +p range.

The above mentioned ammo is clearly loaded for modern steel(S&W 625). I doubt your MK would survive more than round or two.
 
Does anyone know where to find the pressure information on the Hornady .455 webly ammo? I bought a box this morning at the gun show and I'm wondering if it is safe to fire in my antique?
It says on the box that the muzzle velocity is only 680 fps I think that should be fine but don't want to push things
 
I wouldn't use the Fiochhi or Hornady ammo in the Mk.I. The Mk.I was made from a lower grade of steel than later marks, and if they haven't been upgraded, they lack the hardened, replaceable recoil shield too. For that matter, my first Mk.VI came with four boxes of the Fiochhi ammo, and the revolver loosened up quite noticeably by the time that ammo was gone. It seems a bit too snappy for older revolvers.

Many of the Webleys have been fired quite a bit with .45ACP ammo after being shaved, but I think the undersize bullets lower the pressure quite a bit. If you loaded to ACP levels with properly fitting bullets, you'd likely blow the gun up. There is really no point in trying to soup up the .455, in any case. A target really doesn't care if it's hit by a bullet going 550fps, or 800.
 
Back
Top Bottom