I am curious how the WG stacks up to the Mark I, II, III etc. as far as strength goes. I am aware of how the Mark I** uses a more recent cylinder and barrel and appears to be stronger. Where would a WG rate in comparison?
I have no intention of overloading anything. The question I first posed was primarily about metallurgy and frame size - the WG appears to be more 'beefy'.
In the .455/476 revolvers, are you guys typically just running .455 webley brass (the shorter mkII) through them, or are you sourcing MkI brass or ??? One would expect that a longer case would produce less pressure with the same load, or conversely allow higher velocity with the same pressure.
Which WG are you referring to? The WG was made from the mid 1880s into the 1900s, and metallurgy advanced quite a bit during that period so it would be reasonable to assume that latter made WGs may benefit from advanced metallurgy as compared to earlier made WGs.
I am not aware of any destructive testing done on either the MKI** or the WG to discover the upper pressure limits. There is a lot of internet supposition and you can take what you want from that if you like that sort of thing.
What we do know is that these webley designs are plenty strong enough to shoot the ammunition they were designed to shoot: 455 webley or .476 enfield ammo loaded within pressure limits designated for the cartridge. There is a good bit of safety margin built into the design of all of the webley revolvers, so of course the revolver will not blow up as soon as you go 1 psi over the cartridge pressure limit.
One 120 year old revolver may handle twice it's design pressure and show no sign of failure for hundreds of rounds, while an identical revolver may suffer mechanical failure on the first firing of that same overpressure cartridge. You don't know until you go too far.
It's like throwing pebbles at windows - if you keep throwing bigger pebbles you will eventually break the window, and now you know what size pebble you should NOT have thrown. The trick is to use discretion and maturity and stop before you break the window. Some people might even say that throwing rocks at windows wasn't a terribly clever idea to start with.![]()
Does anyone offer new hinge screws? Like some really hard steel ones like Grade 9 or better?
Does anyone offer new hinge screws? Like some really hard steel ones like Grade 9 or better?



























