What is the best DA revolver?

Moe

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Location
Fredericton
Thinking of getting a DA revolver. One to shoot a few rounds on occasion. I reload and would do so for this gun. I realize that I would need to reduce the charge significantly with smokeless powder to ensure I am at safe pressures ie. 45 acp in a Webley. I want a DA/SA gun that I can buy the brass and projectiles for. Am partial to 45 ACP as I do have a gun in that caliber and brass is plentiful as a result but I am not set firm on this. Considering the following:

1. Colt 1892 - These are mostly 41 LC but can be found or re-barreled in 38 special. 41 is harder brass to find but can be acquired. I like the modern swing out cylinder but unsure of the sketchy reputation about timing and lockup.

2. Webely MK 1/2- Would be happy with either 455 or 45 acp. Like I said 45 acp is easy for me.

3. Webley RIC - Slow reloads (gateloader) compact and perhaps stronger frame without a hinge, can be converted to 45 acp.

4. French 1892 - Gateloader, sold frame, obscure 8mm caliber

5. French 1873 - Gateloader, can be done up in 45 acp.

I'm probably overlooking some and perhaps off my rocker about my concerns but that's why I'm asking you folks your opinion. I might seem biased toward 45 acp but I am willing to load other calibers provided it is not too hard to find components. I lean toward the Colt and Webley guns at this time but looking forward to your thoughts.

The first question your going to ask is what I want an antique handgun for. I have never owned an antique gun before and am not a collector. I simply wish to have a non-restricted handgun that I can shoot where I can discharge other non restricted long guns if I wish. I already have plenty of restricted handguns for the range.

Thank you for your input
Moe
 
Last edited:
The French 1892 is a swing out cylinder and there are several recent threads about loading for it. 32-20 brass usually works but could need the rims thinned.

Personally I'm sad to see so many guns being shaved to 45acp. Grant has a pic or 2 of what happens when someone messes up and drops full power loads into an antique pistol.

Going to the trouble of making the correct shells is usually not too bad. 455 isn't too hard to find and I think you can even get away with using the 45acp dies. Though I will admit the 11mm French is a bit of a project.
 
Moe, another option is the reichsrevolver in 44 special/Russian.

I would go for either the French 1873 (one for sale right now in good shape on the EE) or the reichsrevolver. Both are very well built guns. The webley is also good but going for more than they're worth nowadays; but look for one already butchered to 45acp so you don't deflower another.
 
You need to be extremely careful with purchasing a DA or hinged action revolver that doesn't have papers or visible stamps that will help establish the date of the hand gun's manufacture. Belgians made obsolete models well past the Dec. 1897 cut off date for qualification as antiques. On some of those handguns the only place the stamp could be found was either on the front face of the cylinder where it is normally shaved or on the rear face of the cylinder. I had never seen a Belgian wheel gun with a stamp on the front face of the cylinder until recently but there it was. If it is removed to make it accept 45acp with half moon clips it won't be identifiable as an antique. There are no other marks on the frame or cylinder to indicate it was made before the stamp was modified.
 
The French 1892 is a swing out cylinder and there are several recent threads about loading for it. 32-20 brass usually works but could need the rims thinned.

Personally I'm sad to see so many guns being shaved to 45acp. Grant has a pic or 2 of what happens when someone messes up and drops full power loads into an antique pistol.

Going to the trouble of making the correct shells is usually not too bad. 455 isn't too hard to find and I think you can even get away with using the 45acp dies. Though I will admit the 11mm French is a bit of a project.

Thanks for sorting me out about the French 1892. Seen the gate and forgot the cylinder swings out. I agree from a collection POV that shaving guns to 45 ACP is a shame. If I acquired a Webley in 455 I don't think I would shave it but would be happy with one coming in 45 ACP. If I got 11mm French I would probably have it changed to 45 ACP.

Moe, another option is the reichsrevolver in 44 special/Russian.

I would go for either the French 1873 (one for sale right now in good shape on the EE) or the reichsrevolver. Both are very well built guns. The webley is also good but going for more than they're worth nowadays; but look for one already butchered to 45acp so you don't deflower another.

I like the reichsrevolver's features and caliber but do think it is.... well.... ugly. I shouldn't judge it too hard though until I hold one or better shot one. Have to admit they are well praised and the caliber is common. Agree about the Webley 45 ACP thoughts.

Thanks for your input guys. Sounds like the Webley's, S&W reich's, French 1892's, and French 1873's have your vote's. Not hearing any favor from you guys for the Colt 1892's so I am taking note of that as a "not so positive".

Moe
 
You need to be extremely careful with purchasing a DA or hinged action revolver that doesn't have papers or visible stamps that will help establish the date of the hand gun's manufacture. Belgians made obsolete models well past the Dec. 1897 cut off date for qualification as antiques. On some of those handguns the only place the stamp could be found was either on the front face of the cylinder where it is normally shaved or on the rear face of the cylinder. I had never seen a Belgian wheel gun with a stamp on the front face of the cylinder until recently but there it was. If it is removed to make it accept 45acp with half moon clips it won't be identifiable as an antique. There are no other marks on the frame or cylinder to indicate it was made before the stamp was modified.

Wow! Good point. Will keep that under my hat when shopping.

Thanks
Moe
 
Pre 1898 S&W DAs in 44 Russian are great guns to as far as shooting them DA there the only DA revolver ive shot that you can #### the hammer almost all the way back DA then hold it there then just that last amount of trigger pull can be controlled so well that you can aim and shoot in DA as well almost as SA there also fast to reload with speedloaders the long frame models a lot can shoot 44 special to they handle the fiochhi 44 Russian and 44 sp Winchester ammos to so no reloading needed another + .
Anyone who has one with and original action in ex condition will know what im talking about as far as DA shooting.
I like the S&W DAs because of the DA control and the fact that a lot of them can shoot under 2 inch groups at 20 yds.
Webleys MKI and MKII are nice choices to there the tanks of the antique gun world , very well made and you can toss them in a mud filled ditch and pick them up wipe em off and they will still work.
 
Thanks for your input guys. Sounds like the Webley's, S&W reich's, French 1892's, and French 1873's have your vote's. Not hearing any favor from you guys for the Colt 1892's so I am taking note of that as a "not so positive".

Moe

The colt 1892s are notorious for having delicate internals. I'd stay away from one personally unless it was a super smoking deal and had new internals.
 
make sure you choose a revolver that indexs with a cylinder lock that fits from the bottom of the frame into a notch in the cylinder. Some guns seem to index only on the hand and in the case of the Colt Thunderer, the cylinder lock fits in a notch in the back of the cylinder but that leaves quite a bit of cylinder lock unsupported between the frame and the cylinder. Also you want a gun where the trigger does not catch on the half #### when you gently squeeze the trigger

cheers mooncoon
 
imho, Webley WG is arguably one of the most accurate and stout double action handguns of its period

Wgl.jpg
 
Pre 1898 S&W DAs in 44 Russian are great guns to as far as shooting them DA there the only DA revolver ive shot that you can #### the hammer almost all the way back DA then hold it there then just that last amount of trigger pull can be controlled so well that you can aim and shoot in DA as well almost as SA there also fast to reload with speedloaders the long frame models a lot can shoot 44 special to they handle the fiochhi 44 Russian and 44 sp Winchester ammos to so no reloading needed another + .
Anyone who has one with and original action in ex condition will know what im talking about as far as DA shooting.
I like the S&W DAs because of the DA control and the fact that a lot of them can shoot under 2 inch groups at 20 yds.
Webleys MKI and MKII are nice choices to there the tanks of the antique gun world , very well made and you can toss them in a mud filled ditch and pick them up wipe em off and they will still work.

I had a Nickeled Presentation model Camelot Delvigne in 11mm french that you could actually #### the gun in double action, it would stay cocked, then break the trigger as a single action pull. Very sweet little revolver, built like a tank, and quite accurate. But I could probably get similar velocities with a slingshot as I did with BP and the heeled bullets. If it was in .45 acp, as some are, it would've been more practical, and easier to feed, still waiting on my custom heeled 11mm bullet mold for that thing come to think of it....
 
What's dingus said plus the reischrevolver 1883 in 11mm will shoot .44 Russian which you can find from blackhills or roll your own materials are easy to find!
 
Back
Top Bottom