While you are on the site, in your browser find and click "Add to Home Screen" A CGN beaver app icon will then be created to your phone that is directly link to the site.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
The Rifle looks like a Lee-Metford.
As for the pistol,, it is kinda hard to figure it out. Looks like a cheap photographers prop, and I don't see a holster on him.
It could be a Colt 1878 that was issued to 2CMR. http://angloboerwarmuseum.com/Boer20b_techofwar.html
Hard to tell with the picture but I could almost imagine the revolver being a Webley MK1 with it's back starp hump.
But with the close up picture I found on the victorian wars forum it certainly looks like a break top revolver with many features consistent with the appearance of a S&W 38 cal gun, too small for a large cal model 3
the lack of holster could be explained by the fact he's wearin spurs and is likely a horse soldier who carried his handgun in a pommel holster...
just a guess tho cuzz I don't know how they decked out in that era...
One of the things I always am trying to figure out is what pistol the Strathcona's carried? They were apparently outfitted differently then the others and had a "colt" revolver which I thought I had headr was in 44.
For the rest of the guys I believe they went with either an 1878 Colt Double Action or Colt New Service (for the later contingents) both in .45
From my understanding the only sidearm that 2CMR packed was the 1878 Colt DA. Officers would have carried them in a closed flap type holster and normal troops would have carried the revolver in an open top type holster.
As for the hammer on the one in the picture, it's not broken, those old H&R's had really weird looking hammers. Also it could be at "half ####" type of thing. When on a horse you either had the hammer fully down on an empty cylinder or if you needed a full compliment of rounds then you would half #### the gun (at least how my great grandfather did it).
So it's either a prop from the photo company or it's a gun he personally brought along or took off someone. Would explain the lack of a Holster.